Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see any mounting tabs in my engine compartment for the washer bag and related components that were missing on my car. Can someone share some pics of theirs with me, including the proper routing locations for the washer hoses? Thank you-

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a us 72 gtv 2000 that has been basically converted to euro spec... my battery is located in the trunk. I was assuming from photos the bag would be located on the exhaust side:

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Correct. The bag mounts across from the battery and clips on the fender seam. Since the clips aren’t welded, these there is no “exact” location. If your bag has a tube coming from the bottom of the bag, comes up behind the bag and follows the wiring harness along the top of the fender and through the firewall grommet at the top corner of the engine bay. If you need photos, let me know and I can post later.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Something like this. The clips that mount to the fender seam were rather sharp, so I mounted the bag to the harness.
DSC02873.JPG

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Something like this. The clips that mount to the fender seam were rather sharp, so I mounted the bag to the harness. View attachment 1655273
That is correct, the correct clips that mount to the fender seam are sharp to retain them and they cut the paint leading to rust. There must be a way to mount more or less correctly without scratching the paint.

Ken

Reactions: RenaissanceMan

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is correct, the correct clips that mount to the fender seam are sharp to retain them and they cut the paint leading to rust. There must be a way to mount more or less correctly without scratching the paint.

Ken
You could use a small piece of 3M clear paint protector (or similar) between the hooks and the paint. Shouldn't be easily visible and will prevent scratches.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
You could use a small piece of 3M clear paint protector (or similar) between the hooks and the paint. Shouldn't be easily visible and will prevent scratches.
The issue with the clips are the two sharp barbs that dig into the outboard side of the fender seam. File them down along with the some type of paint protector or plastic tape at the clip contact points would certainly help.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great info folks, thank you. Did not realize you could still purchase those specific clips.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Actually they weren't available until a few years ago. Before that, when the originals broke/disappeared, you had to make some up or figure another way of installing the bag.

When installing them, if you really bother about originality, take in consideration that the clips were designed to bite in the paint. If your fender seam is not scratched by the clips, you should loose points.🤪

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Interesting archival photo shows the tube routing with the shortest path the the firewall grommet. Since the harness would have been installed earlier on the assembly line, I guess the guy installing the washer bag took the easy way out and just routed it as you see it. You could argue this is the “correct” routing, but it certainly looks haphazard. I tucked mine with the wire harness and used the existing harness clips to keep, everything neat and tidy.

C232D838-A3BB-4D4F-AFD2-F749CC5E9C29.jpeg

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Putting things together here.... so single hose from bag goes through grommet to foot pump switch, and 2nd pump barb has hose going to nozzle?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Exactly. There e is an arrow somewhere that shows which is in and which is out. Is the pump new? It works with internal check valves, and when it stops squirting it seems to be because the valves failed.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly. There e is an arrow somewhere that shows which is in and which is out. Is the pump new? It works with internal check valves, and when it stops squirting it seems to be because the valves failed.
Thank you @yvesmontreal ! The pump is not new... I'm not sure yet if it is functioning correctly. Pushing the button only results in activating the wipers but I'm not hearing any valves actuate, should I be hearing a sound like that? I'm thinking it may be faulty...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
No, there is no sound. But if one of the valves has failed pressing the bladder will just shuffle fluid back and forth. I've successfully added a pair of external check valves to my 1974 foot pump. See here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts