Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
S3 bell housing engine mount hole locations

Hi bianchi1,

The picture below shows my S3 bell housing from the engine side.

I only measured the six 11.5mm diameter through holes that are used to mount the bell housing to the engine block. If you need to know the locations of any of the other holes (starter motor, bottom access plate, etc.) let me know.

For clarification purposes, I chose to number the block mounting holes from 1 to 6 (yellow numbers in photo).

Here are the results I got with a set of digital calipers (hole center to hole center):

1 to 2: 41.79
2 to 3: 146.72
3 to 4: 155.85
4 to 5: 98.72
5 to 6: 93.18
6 to 1: 295.61
1 to 3: 183.40
1 to 4: 282.65
1 to 5: 302.52
2 to 4: 261.31
2 to 5: 294.21
2 to 6: 300.42
3 to 5: 231.02
3 to 6: 282.50
4 to 6: 183.49

I'm working on plotting these values on an AutoCAD drawing, which I'm sure would be helpful to a machinist or welder trying to fabricate a bell housing for an alternate gearbox. I'll post a copy of the layout when I'm done.

Enjoy,

Attachments

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks , greatly:):)..i guess once you get it to autocad.. the same thing from the centre of the crank/input shaft would be great... this will help me mount it to a 2.2 ecotec motor.. cannot wait..after a few small things. a easy 185 hp and 170tq.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Darn...I thought I may have scanned the engine side when I scanned the transmission side. No luck. Sorry. Would have made things easy.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
hole plot

Hi bianchi1,

I arranged the block mounting holes around the input shaft. Let me know if the the data points shown in the attached file will serve your purposes, or if you need something more (or a different format). I can PM you the .dwg file that I plotted this from if you like.

Enjoy,

Attachments

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you norseman50 , as soon as my itty bitty brain figgers it out, if I need anything , I will post, thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
flywheel diameter

As close as I can measure while it is on the block, the flywheel is 279.40mm in diameter (tops of opposite gear teeth). Do you need to know the depth of the notches between the teeth?

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am �� back,new question

My transmission is not out yet,so one more question,the inside diameter of the belhousing would be great from inner lip to inner lip,thanks again,trying to get some of the math done.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
ID of bell housing

Hi bianchi1,

I measured the inside diameter of one of my bell housings today. I ran a set of calipers all the way around, checking the results about every 5cm.

I found a very slight draft on the inside of the casting, tapering inward from the lip (see first photo), but in my opinion it was a negligible amount, and I figured you were more interested in available clearance anyway.

The ID varied from 282.15mm to 282.60mm (on the bell housing I checked) so I think a 'clear' inside diameter of 282mm is a safe assumption.

I'll check an older one I've got laying around (that doesn't have VVT sensor mounting holes) and let you know what I find, just to make sure it's in the same 282.2mm to 282.6mm range.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
bianchi1,

OK. I checked the ID of a different bell housing and it was, indeed, in the same 282.2mm to 282.6mm range.

I think I'll add the bell housing ID and some mount hole dimensions to the CAD drawing I provided in an earlier post. It might be easier for you to work with. Stay tuned....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts