Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi There

After months of searching I have finally found a very original 1750 GTV, Series 1, silver with Red leather interior with plenty of Patina, but no rust. It has a leaking drive box, and a small amount of leaking arount the gear box. It drives very well but I would like to improve the handling without destroying its originality. I want a fast road car, with handling to go with it. It already has four Koni yellow shock absorbers. The test drive was very good with a strong engine, no smoking, gear box once warmed up was perfect, With no Synchro problems.

I want to start with a

Alfaholics Billet Aluminium Steering Box Casing
Alfaholics Quick Steering Arms

Change the wheels to Alfaholics GTA 7x15 Superleggera with Michelin energy tyres.

Lowering the front suspension, with front standard springs (or later on Alfaholics Fast Road Suspension Kit depending on how it all feels after driving it around for a while)

In the future
Probable stage 2 brake package???
Front suspension geometry?
Rear suspension suggestions....

I want to have a very tight and well handling car and would appreciate all input and advice as this will be the first time I am going to try to modify a car.

Thanks
Babak

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
they drive very nicely in standard form if all bushes and joints are in top fettle

·
Registered
65 Posts
You're going to love this car. I have a Series 1 1750 as well and have a comp suspension setup, 15x7 GTA wheels, and a ported head and sport exhaust. The car is a rip to drive and always leaves a smile. Suspension and tires are easy and they make immediate improvement to the driving experience. I run Dunlop Direzza tires which are super sticky and compliment the suspension setup well. The cars are light and they stop really well so a brake upgrade is not on my radar screen. My steering is also stock and I haven't felt any need to improve steering performance.....yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wish I could tell you but it was done before I bought this car. I suspect it's on par with A-holics Fast Road setup B.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,450 Posts
Congrats on the car. Some general comments, my non-expert opinions and experience only:

• They all leak, and you can drive yourself nuts chasing the leaks if you enjoy that sort of thing.
  • I'm more of a fan of stock wheel/tire sizes unless you're racing. The limits are lower with thinner, less sticky tires but the car is more fun for the street and retains a classic feel.
  • I don't think Alfaholics recommends the quick steering arms for the street, you may want to check with them. Probably not a great idea if combined with wider tires, too.
  • You will very likely find play in the steering idler arm, in which case a roller-bearing box is a good upgrade. At the very least you should re-bush that or you'll never get tight steering. All three 101/105/115 cars I've bought have had play in the idler.
  • I have it and the billet Burman steering box is nice, but pricey. Probably a good idea if you're gonna go with wide sticky tires to avoid cracking risk though. If your experience is like mine you may need another box to pull parts from to assemble one good one as a lot of the boxes are worn. You can also consider switching to the ZF box if yours is shot
  • If you're doing the front, adjustable upper arms are a good way to get a bit more adjustability. Also there's a lot of debate about rubber vs. poly throughout the suspension but the consensus seems to be that upper arm and caster bushings are a good place to switch to poly
  • I've never really felt the need to upgrade the brakes on a 105/115 car. If everything is working properly (which isn't always the case) they stop well and don't overheat bakes even in the mountains.

Lots more info on here if you search. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Gubi. Very interesting. What i am after is better stance and handling. Hence lowwering the front and changing the springs
The box is already leaking and with wider tyres the aluminium box seemed to be a good idea. The wheels are for just because i prefer the look. The braking is good enough for the moment but with the 15” wheels upgrades are possible. The steering is a bit dead in the center but i guess that to be normal and would quote like a faster steering which is what i am used to hence the Quick stereing arm while i change the steering box.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,450 Posts
The steering is a bit dead in the center but i guess that to be normal and would quote like a faster steering which is what i am used to hence the Quick stereing arm while i change the steering box.
If you've got a Burman box it should be pretty tight: ideally no play, but realistically like <1 cm of total play at the steering wheel. If not the box needs adjustment (done with shims), the box is worn internally, or there's play in the idler or other steering components (very likely, esp. the idler arm). You can also dial in a bit more caster to heavy up the steering.

I'd check all that stuff first since it needs doing anyway, then if you're still not happy consider changing the arms. I seem to recall Alfaholics didn't recommend them for the street but I could be wrong, so maybe reach out to them and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
14,996 Posts
I've never really felt the need to upgrade the brakes on a 105/115 car. If everything is working properly (which isn't always the case) they stop well and don't overheat bakes even in the mountains.
Agree.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts