Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing some help reading motronic codes on my 90 Graduate. I can get to the first code but can't figure out how to get to any more.

My shop manual says "Every flashing code is endlessly repeated until the request of the next malfunction." How do you request the next malfunction?

In cool damp weather I get an intermittant check engine light -- it happened last spring, went away all summer, and is back now. The code I read is 1221 for the AFM.

Also, is there a better resource on the motronic system than the shop manual?

Any insight will be appreciatied.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump - any motronics gurus out there?

still looking for someone who can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Darreld, Though I have not read it, I have heard that this manual is a good reference for Bosch electronic fuel injection systems including the Motronic. It is published by the US Alfa Owners Club. Here's the link: Alfa Romeo Owners Club Store : Technical Notes for Bosch Electronic Fuel Injection Systems

As for code reading, I believe that the computer flashes each code three (?) times, and then automatically moves to the next code, which it flashes three times, and so on until it has displayed all the faults, at which time it gives the "I'm done" signal.

Someone correct me if I have any of this wrong.

David

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I may order a copy. Also, AROC-USA lists a Motronic System Repair Manual in the library -- I'm a member so I'll request a copy.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
From the John M and Tom Gubi show circa August 2004 here on the BB:

You will need to pull the code from the ECU and reply back. Here is how you pull the code. It is flashed through the check engine light through a series of long and short flashes. Here is how to pull the code:

1. Turn the ignition key to the "on position" so that all the lights light up on the dash. Do not start the engine nor have it running.
2. Remove the access panel from your carpeted rear deck behind the passenger seat.
3. Locate the ECU button. There is a button on the outside of the steel box that the ECU sits in. The button faces the passenger side "b" pillar, the passenger side rear speaker, and seat belt retractor. Note that you will have to reach around to the outside of the steel box that the ECU sits in so have long flexible fingers or skinny ones that can fit between the carpeted deck and the top of the steel box.
4. Depress and hold the ECU button for 5 secs.
5. Release the button once the check engine light goes off.
6. The Check Engine light will flash the code.
7. Once the code is flashed (and it will repeat) you can simply turn the ignition key to the off position.

Here is how to read the code:
The check engine light flashes the code by long and short flashes.

1. The check engine light does a long flash followed by a long delay to say "here comes the code"
2. Then the individual numbers will be flashed by short flashes with a long delay between each seperate number.
3. The error code is a 4 digit code beginning in the number 1.
4. Code repeats over and over.
Here is an example:

F=Long flash
f=short flash
D=long delay
d=short delay

Error code 1234 1234

F........D.......f..D........f..d..f..D.......f..d ..f..d..f..D..........f..d..f..d..f..d..f..D...... .......F........D.......f..D........f..d..f..D.... ...f..d..f..d..f..D..........f..d..f..d..f..d..f.. D.............

So this would be read: Code 1234 Code 1234
-------

I'll add the following: you most likely have multiple codes stored...one for every time the light has come on. These may be the same code over and over again or they may vary. It's a good idea to go through them all and then clear the computer.

After each code flashes, you hold down the button for a couple of seconds and then release it...it will then start flashing the next code. Once you have gone through all the codes, the computer will flash 4-4-4-4. At this point you can clear the codes by holding down the button for a full ten seconds (make sure you wrote down all the other numbers first). It may take a while to get through all the codes, so be patient.

Post the codes you get here and it may give us some idea of what the problem is.

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts