Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is running like it used to, but after being beaten by a family car, I am craving more power. What are the easiest ways (as in being able to do the work within 2 days) to gain more power. Bigger cams not an option, as I'd have to remove mine and wait for them to come back, killing the 2 day deadline. I'm looking for 20-50hp.

·
Administrator
17,467 Posts
Weight is your enemy. Strip out anything not needed to make the car stop or go. Spare tire, jack, passenger seat, carpets, sound deadening, keep the fuel tank at 1/4 full, etc.

Why are you 'racing' family cars anyway? Shall we assume it was a closed course with professional drivers...?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weight is your enemy. Strip out anything not needed to make the car stop or go. Spare tire, jack, passenger seat, carpets, sound deadening, keep the fuel tank at 1/4 full, etc.

Why are you 'racing' family cars anyway? Shall we assume it was a closed course with professional drivers...?
Errr, no, this was a 4 door import family car with lots of weight that whooped me a new one to cut me off (which I knew he was going to "try" to do), downside is, he didn't try, he actually did and I redlined through 1, 2 and 3 gear to prevent it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Dream on, you bought the wrong car. I've got most of what I need for a TS conversion in one of my Spider's, but even that won't make it a very quick car compared to anything modern.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
A shot of nitrous.:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A shot of nitrous.:D

Best Regards,
John M
I thought about that, but with the motronics naturally high compression, that would not be feasible. I'd be better off doing a major tear down, switching to Paul Spruell's custom 7.5:1 pistons and adding a centrifugal super charger. 420bhp...Mmmm, nice...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dream on, you bought the wrong car. I've got most of what I need for a TS conversion in one of my Spider's, but even that won't make it a very quick car compared to anything modern.
OH, I got the right car, question is, how do I make the Alfa just as competitive...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
DD,
Dont let this get you down, man. You cant ever beat all the cars that come up from behind you. You dont want to wreck your neat alfa, cuz it wasnt made for that kind of racing, without some damage being done. (I Think).

·
Registered
936 Posts
i know of no quick easy ways to pick up that much power. plus you need to pass smog inspection, right ?

Alfas were quick in the '50s and 60's, but by the '70s were being passed up by more and more of the competition. they were never meant as drag racers, plus today's cars just get amazingly faster and faster. heck, Ferrari 308s seem slow by today's standards !

your car is a 1990, so it has Motronic engine management. you could install a Squadra tuning chip to get a little more power across the board, but it will not make it a drag race demon, by any means. gas mileage will suffer a little.

if you really have the time and $$$$$$, Murray Siert (msiert) is building a killer S4 spider :

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=29640

Greg Gordon is working on a supercharger setup for Spiders. that's what i am waiting for, for my future Spider. but i do not know how the progress is going, or if he plans on selling a kit like his GTV6 superchargers . . .

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DD,
Dont let this get you down, man. You cant ever beat all the cars that come up from behind you. You dont want to wreck your neat alfa, cuz it wasnt made for that kind of racing, without some damage being done. (I Think).
That's the thing though, this wasn't a from behind thing, this was red light, to red light...
Whats the point in having an Italian sports car if all that it is good for is looks and not racing?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
plus you need to pass smog inspection, right ?

Greg Gordon is working on a supercharger setup for Spiders. that's what i am waiting for, for my future Spider. but i do not know how the progress is going, or if he plans on selling a kit like his GTV6 superchargers . . .
No smog checks here, also, I could do my own super charger set up, not much of a problem other than financially, I'm seeing who has the best $:HP tip available for the current set up.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
These cars are horsepower machines, not torque, as you know you need torque for stoplight racing and/or at least a llighter model with more power. A 90 spider is at best a touring car not a sportscar. You want faster, get a a pre 75 (shouldn't have worry about emmisions in most jurisdictions) rebuild the engine with the Motronic pistons, performance cams matched to either 45mm webers or a Wes Ingram HP SPICA set-up and change the 4:56 to the late model 4:10 for usable power. Or you can go the twin spark route. Purchase my Berlina, lighter with more power than your Spider, faster and you'll get the jump at the stoplight. When you pull up to the stop light in your spider the other drivers think "fast" so they're primed to tromp on the gas, you should have a Italian Q-ship.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These cars are horsepower machines, not torque, as you know you need torque for stoplight racing and/or at least a llighter model with more power. A 90 spider is at best a touring car not a sportscar. You want faster, get a a pre 75 (shouldn't have worry about emmisions in most jurisdictions) rebuild the engine with the Motronic pistons, performance cams matched to either 45mm webers or a Wes Ingram HP SPICA set-up and change the 4:56 to the late model 4:10 for usable power. Or you can go the twin spark route. Purchase my Berlina, lighter with more power than your Spider, faster and you'll get the jump at the stoplight. When you pull up to the stop light in your spider the other drivers think "fast" so they're primed to tromp on the gas, you should have a Italian Q-ship.
LOL, You know the motronic (my car) has factory 13mm cams in it right?!? The 90 and up were souped up for power as in the mid and pre 70s cars, just don't have the power their heritage of cars should have period. None of them, GTV6 or any alfa until the newly developed 8C came out. So, going back to the original question, how do I make more power quicker with MY car (not yours)?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, BTW, just saw a movie last night with an Alfa Romeo in it..."Fracture" with Anthony Hopkins. As in the movie, the Alfa wasn't fast enough to save a woman from having the plug pulled...

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
LOL, You know the motronic (my car) has factory 13mm cams in it right?!? The 90 and up were souped up for power as in the mid and pre 70s cars, just don't have the power their heritage of cars should have period. None of them, GTV6 or any alfa until the newly developed 8C came out. So, going back to the original question, how do I make more power quicker with MY car (not yours)?
DD, you have a legit question, and Im no expert on it, sorry to say. But only cuz im a chatter, why the 2 day deadline? I mean, to mod your car right could take weeks, I do know that, between ordering parts/shipping/returning the parts that dont fit, etc....

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Realistically? You don't. You could go with a Squadra chip as mentioned, and drop in an early 4.56 LSD rear end so you can get more 0-60 at the cost of a seriously buzzy car at highway speeds. Gut the cat and kill the planet for a few more HP. After all that, maybe you only get your butt kicked by V6 Camrys instead of the 4 bangers.

My '74 is pretty darn quick for a naturally aspirated Nord. It has the lighter S2 body (of course), 10.4 Borgos, Weber 40s, port and polish, fully balanced, "51" cams, ISKY springs, and the 4.56 rear end. The last friendly stoplight drag I had was with a somewhat shabby early Acura Legend with three guys in it on the one side, and a C5 Corvette behind me. The Acura was giving it his all and I beat him fairly handily, but didn't exactly blow his doors off. The 'Vette goosed it once he realized there was racin' afoot, and he dropped both of us like a bad habit without breaking a sweat.

Comparing the Spider to other cars I've owned, I'd like to say 0-60 is close to my '93 Sentra SE-R, which was probably a low 7 second car. That might be a bit optimistic, since the Alfa takes off with far more sturm und drang and thus feels much faster. I do know it's faster than my minivan, so that's saying something. :)

-Jason

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DD, you have a legit question, and Im no expert on it, sorry to say. But only cuz im a chatter, why the 2 day deadline? I mean, to mod your car right could take weeks, I do know that, between ordering parts/shipping/returning the parts that dont fit, etc....
This is my daily driver, meaning, I'd have only 2 days to install new parts. Cams are out of the question because I couldn't get 15mm lifts without first sending in my old cores to be welded and grinded. Had they made new cams for my cars, then it would be feasible, but they don't so the 2 day time period is out...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could go with a Squadra chip as mentioned

-Jason
I'd be better off going with the Holley Pro Fuel Commander, at least that way I could program it to the after market fuel injectors and pump I'd be installing, instead of stuck with what someone else thought my car "should" have in it...

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
13mm lift, surely you jest, that would be a racing cam, special pistons, valve work, etc, (interference) the stock cam for a 90 is around 10mm. The stock 90 grad is listed at 120hp and weighs 2550, the 72 Berlina 129HP weighs 2442. Now the GTV-6 in its day was considered equal or better than the Z. The GTV-6 weighed 2823 with 154HP` 0-60 8 seconds, a stock 72 spider weighed 2292 with 0-60 under 10 seconds, your spider is in the 11 second range. With all the complex wiring system in your car, the ECU, etc, it is not as good a starting point as a pre-75 ALFA. That said, a chip with the right cams, less restrictive header and exhaust will make a difference.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
13mm lift, surely you jest
Yup, my bad, 11mm lift, the same as the "performance cams" you buy for your alfa and with more factory compression without buying the Hi comp pistons...13mm was my dream size, I got confused, eventually they'll be 13, just not yet.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts