Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone could help me, I need to find the thread on transaxle ratios, so I can print it out on a large board for a Convention parking lot discussion prop. I tried the search feature, couldn't find it.
Thanks,
Glennco
HMA

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
AlvaroSeco had published a few versions. I didn't post a spreadsheet (have two versions on HD) not knowing if there is a more recent revision and instead posted the original link in post #2. IIRC, there was more than just one thread as well so there might be a more correct, newer version of this data (or a some would say, 'these data').
Would make the most sense to PM him directly for his latest and greatest.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
AlvaroSeco had published a few versions. I didn't post a spreadsheet (have two versions on HD) not knowing if there is a more recent revision and instead posted the original link in post #2. IIRC, there was more than just one thread as well so there might be a more correct, newer version of this data (or a some would say, 'these data').
Would make the most sense to PM him directly for his latest and greatest.
Good point. Mine is from March of last year, which was his most at that time when I got it :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hi!

I compiled that spreadsheet few months ago.
I was corrected and added with some more lines.

I'll try to updload the latest one to discuss and correct any other fault.

Regards,
Alvaro.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,
How come there is no 83 GTV6 ratio? That is what the Blue Meanie is and it was my all time favorite ratio till I blew it up and ended up with a Verde transaxle, which I really enjoy.
By the way, I will pay someone to print it on a 2 foot by 3 foot poster board and bring it to the Convention for me !! Serious !!

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Thanks guys,
How come there is no 83 GTV6 ratio? That is what the Blue Meanie is and it was my all time favorite ratio till I blew it up and ended up with a Verde transaxle, which I really enjoy.
By the way, I will pay someone to print it on a 2 foot by 3 foot poster board and bring it to the Convention for me !! Serious !!
My understanding is that the '83 gtv6 had the same transaxle as the '82.

bs

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Can some one send me a good jpeg of this chart. I might be able to print it out on my plotter 36 inches wide. How much are you paying Glen? Maybe a good quality handout - plastic coated for shop use? You could do that.

I'm pretty sure I can import a excel spreadsheet into Autocad. Then I know I can print Glenn a large format, poster size copy for his Convention Presentation.

On another note, do all these gear ratios interchange? Fit on the lay shafts, and main shafts without machining? I would be so cool to be able to change the rations in you gearbox - like a Hewland!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Bud. I would willingly pay cost plus a beer or 3 [ or whatever beverage is appropriate] I might even play a song for it !!
It looks to me like the the real determining factor in gear 'tallness' is the final gear. My faves seem to have 3.42 finals, though the Verde has a 3.55 which I like as well.
Good to know on the 82-83 thing Brian, I plan to squirrel away my faves to have a supply for the future,,

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'll bring chart - You bring Beer!

Yep. I have two 1982/1983 gear boxes with the 3.42 ratio plus, I have one of Schweikle's old Silver/Gold Milano boxes which I assume have the 4:10.
It has a large, speedometer takeoff on the side so I was thinking of taking it apart to get the gear work. Don't know if its possible to interchange the gears.

I've always thought the first and second gears were a bit lacking in my '83. Wonder if the Milano 1ST and 2ND would improve the take-off.
But I wouldn't want to loose the top end of the 3.42. I have left many 5.0 litre Mustang in the dust during the day. The sound of the car as it hits 3200 rpm is unforgetable too. Tme to be pushed back in the seat.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's a deal Bud !!

I wonder if the Blue Meanie came to me with the original transaxle, I'll have to ask Greg, The reason I wonder is; The 2nd gear was REAL long, which is why I like it. I love a ratio that allows me to use 2nd a lot more, with the Verde trans, I can wind around twisties in 2nd at 40-50 mph all day. 3rd is a joy as well, long legs there. I never even use 4th.

Also, let me pose a question a lot of us would like to know, How do you tell a transaxle year when it is out of the car??
Other than the obvious early/late indications of speedo sender and shift shaft.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
It's a deal Bud !!

Also, let me pose a question a lot of us would like to know, How do you tell a transaxle year when it is out of the car??
Other than the obvious early/late indications of speedo sender and shift shaft.
Glenn,

I think the best/sure way to do this (I don't think there are stampings) is to pick a gear and turn input shaft, then count carefully!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
This is really interesting, I would've thought the 4.10 final would be the hands down favorite. I agree with Glenn that 2nd & 3rd are really perfect on the '82. I find myself completely forgetting to go to 4th most of the time.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
This is really interesting, I would've thought the 4.10 final would be the hands down favorite. I agree with Glenn that 2nd & 3rd are really perfect on the '82. I find myself completely forgetting to go to 4th most of the time.

Bill
Depends what you're doing. For track stuff, swapping our 3.55 for a 4.10 made a world of difference. For road use, I personally think the 3.55 is better, especially for a 3.0, especially if you do a lot of highway driving.

bs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts