Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in the Wanted section but not everyone checks there. I cannot find a new ignition switch for a 71 spider. Centerline does not stock them. Anyone know where I can find one? I will be installing a starter relay. (Wish I read those threads 6 months ago) Does anyone know if these switches can be repaired? Dare I open it up?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Centerline shows them in the catalog as does IAP and Vick. Call them and ask. As far as repairing them, I'd think not, although if its inoperative anyway, there's no harm in trying.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Is it completely dead already or just acting up? Mine was acting up a couple years ago so I put in the relay and it has been working great since then. Same thing happened on my Verde this summer so I finally put a relay on that too.

If it's completely dead then I guess you are SOL.

Kevin

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine is acting up. I can tell by watching the volt meter. If it goes to 12 when I turn the key the Spider will start. If it stays at 0, it won't. How easy is it to replace the switch, or add a relay. Any advise would be appreciated.
Alan 86 Grad

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I've been replacing them about every 8-ish years - on my 3rd one now....
They wear out internally - mebbe save your current one for a rebuild after they are no longer available.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's a good idea. I didn't think you could have them rebuilt. More like a throw away item. The previous owner (I'm 3rd), for whatever reason, has cut all four wires and electric taped them together. I have to look again, but maybe he put in a relay. That would be the only reason I could think for cutting them. I got the Spider in 2001 and it's run great since. I'm concerned about being able to get the old one out. There is not too much room. Normally, I'll find a thread with pictures and instructions. I'll continue to look. My CarDisc doesn't really go into replacing the switch. At least I haven't seen it.
Alan

·
Registered
308 Posts
have ignition switch plus keys for 1981

I had a new one installed on my 1981, I believe I still have the original and the keys that go with it.
PM me if you/anyone wants it - it should be rebuildable, it was only 'acting up' when I had it replaced.

I'll edit this post if/when someone claims it - so if you are reading this, it is still available.

Free to a good home

·
chiuso per ferie
11,790 Posts
I posted in the Wanted section but not everyone checks there. I cannot find a new ignition switch for a 71 spider. Centerline does not stock them. Anyone know where I can find one? I will be installing a starter relay. (Wish I read those threads 6 months ago) Does anyone know if these switches can be repaired? Dare I open it up?
I didn't know IAP was selling aftermarket switches for $80. I'll lower my price to $50 plus $5 for shipping.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=43230&highlight=ignition

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry but I have already purchased one. I am sure you will find a buyer. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just a follow up to my situation. As I continued to investigate and test what was happening to my Grad (sometimes the key would start the car and sometimes it wouldn't), I decided that the poor performance I was also experiencing may be related to corroded spark plugs. I came to this thought through reading other threads. Not having purchased the new ignition switch yet (I was still trying to figure out how to get the old ignition switch out), I elected to go with the cheaper and easier spark plug project. In 2002 I installed Bosch Platinum 4s. I replaced them with NGK BP732s. It is important to note that plug No. 1 had a cracked insulator. The ceramic was split cleanly in half. There was some corrosion and build up on the other plugs. If anything, they seem to be too hot (white). After completing the job and running the Grad for the last few days, it appears my ignition problem has been resolved. I would never have thought that a cracked spark plug would short out the startup sequence.
Alan
86 Grad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts