Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all !

LOOKING FOR INSIGHT!!!!

My boss just purchase a 1975 montreal chassis number AR1428606. We are a restoration shop with a large collection of cars, doing a routine service to the car I came across the car was originally paint a green metallic (Painted some sort of red currently). We would like to restore the car back to OEM Standards as possible because we all know the value for these cars has jumped through the roof! but before I can continue with restoration process I need to obtain some information that i can present to the owner to get approval on before the build came begin.

Things that Im currently looking for.....

Build sheets for these cars (exterior paint, interior color, what options did the car come with from the factory)

Factory wiring diagrams - non a/c car (Currently have a few issues that needs to addressed)

Paint codes for the car ( to get the correct color )

Misc. parts sources for good quality vintage parts ( Rubber seals, Lights, Carpet sets, Seat upholstery, Bezel pieces for dash, Exhaust system )

Chassis Number AR1428606
Engine Number AR0056451070

If anyone could give me some insight on these beautiful cars it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers! :clap:
Eric

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
Eric,

1. Where are you located?
2. Pictures. Lots of pictures.
3. Contact Marco Fazio at Museo Storico. I've lost the email address, but someone will jump in with it. Send him your chassis and engine numbers, and he will provide a brief description of the original delivery detail. It will probably be more brief than you want.
4. I have found the following to be the best all-around vendors for Montreal parts:
OKP parts, Munich, Germany
Classic Alfa, UK
AFRA, Italy
AMS, Germany
TST Rettburg

There are numerous other source.

I recommend you visit and absorb the following website: The Alfa Romeo Montreal Website

Buy the book "Montreal, the essential companion". You can find it on ebay or Amazon.

Once you've explored these options, post specific needs and we'll toss out what we can offer.

Good luck,

·
Registered
159 Posts
In addition to Don's recommendations and references . . .

For carpet sets, Worldwide Upholstery Carpets, Rubber Mats and Other Floor Covers for Alfa Romeo Touring Spiders, Montreals and Giulia Sedans from World Upholstery & Trim

For exhaust systems and suspension upgrades, Alfaholics Montreal | Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts and accessories

For interior trim pieces and a host of other hard to find parts, contact Giorgio Penatti. I don't have his email address handy at the moment but can post it tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it. I'm sure if you do a search on the Montreal board, someone will have posted Giorgio's contact info in the past.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys for the quick reply ! Im currently uploading pictures of the car as we speak, hopefully I'll have them posted soon. I just purchased the book "Alfa romeo essential companion" as don recommended looks like a great read and ton of information. Our shop is located in PA about 30 mins outside of Philadelphia.

To all.... The current state of the car is painted red but is not original paint color (Metallic Green) as stated in first post. Would the value of the car be less in the red as it sits and fix the things that need to be addressed, or would the car be of greater value if it was returned to original green

Thanks Everyone ! its great to have fast response with great information!

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
The debate over value and originality is as endless and unsolvable as debating religion. On any given day, your car will find no buyers, one buyer, or many buyers - most of whom would have been drinking heavily. These are far bigger factors than what color it is painted.

The original metallic green color is a good one, and not often seen. Montreals were anachronistic cars, and seem to respond well to odd color combinations. Orange, I understand, was the most common color, and I like it. Not sure how many red ones were delivered originally, but a significant group of people seem to believe that all Alfas should be red. I personally disagree.

This much can probably be said as true, and defended.

Having a car in its original color will not hurt its potential value (although for some reason yellow GTV's have a bad rap on that score).

A car in a changed color that is brilliantly executed MAY not suffer a perceived devaluation. Overall quality will be the driver, along with how many bidders there are, and how much they've been drinking that day.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Wasn't that record high priced Montreal a non-original red? Sometimes it is the luck of the draw as to what buyers are looking for at a particular time.

The only Montreal colour that seems to be for 'enthusiasts only' is the metallic brown. I personally like it. All my personal opinions btw.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Eric,
Don did a great job of covering the bases on the Montreal. If you like, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you copies of Giorgio's and Hannelore's color e-brochures.

Montreal's are 'EZBNGRN' to borrow from a license plate that I saw at last years Italian Car Day. Here is one of my favorite Montreal's (I intended to post just a photo but enjoyed the write up and thought you and your boss would as well):
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/picture-room/7362-owner-alfa-montreal.html

The book that you bought 'M-tEC' is a fantastic resource and had a long list of dedicated Montreal parts suppliers, tips and specs! Like Don says, we need photographs. OBTW, they call it 'resale red' for a reason...

Mark

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yes, if you don't have a copy of "The Essential Companion" you'll become pretty lost.

I'll add this since the recent price hike have given us some pretty bizarre online advertisements (I'm looking at you eBay!):

The book also lists the very short list of factory options: electric windows and (from 72) air conditioning. The "options disease" didn't break out in the European car factories until much later. You could get leather seats and special colours on special order from Alfa Romeo, Bertone or the German importer, but they aren't factory options in the traditional US sense.

Several Montreals have been presented for sale having "factory option steering wheel" and "factory option leather seats", but the former is an outright lie while the latter should be taken with a grain of salt. On one occasion, the "factory leather seats" turned out to be naugahyde done by the previous owner.

Another thing worth mentioning is that model years, chassis/VIN numbers and "matching numbers" does not apply to the Montreal (or other contemporary Alfa Romeos). Some gradual technical changes were made up until production ended, but they're (almost) never an issue with potential buyers.

That is, few if any will come looking for a Montreal with a particular combination of options or one within a special VIN# range. Practically speaking, no Montreal is rarer than the next with regard to collectability.

Having said that, there are some (almost mythical) specials out there, but nothing you would come across in someone's back yard. I think :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi Eric,

attached I show you the color card what was original from Alfa Romeo with the green metal paint.
The specs for this paint mixture should be to get still at Standox. You should contact Standox with below link, they send you the exact mixture you need for Alfa Romeo Montreal 1970-77 # 224 like attached sample of orange met.
Here their contact form, I am sure they still have the Montreal in archive and will help you quite quick... :001_cool:
Standox -
Also attached samples of paint code stickers I made in 2 different aluminium types (mostly missing in cars. also other Alfas than just Monti possible on alu sticker) .
Hannelore

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport
1,544 Posts
I don't think that there is a bad color for a Montreal, I like all the factory colors. With the possible exception of white--but personally I don't like white on cars other than large cars such as Cadillacs, etc…even though I've owned three white cars in my lifetime. My .02.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot everyone for the reply's! This is great information that you guys are supplying me with. I'm still waiting for my book to arrive sometime this week. Here are some pictures of the car "as it sits" in current condition. Thank again for supplying with the correct paint codes that is HUGE! and the manufacturer

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a quick picture of the original paint. it seems that they didn't prep the car very well when they painted the red.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Eric, I have sent a request for information to Marco and will let you know his reply.

Mark
I have copied you with Marco's actual email, check your private messages for all the details. This is Marco's contact information: Fazio Marco (Alfa Romeo) [marco dot fazio at alfaromeo dot com]
Here is partial information from Marco for those who are curious:

The body colour is metallic green (AR 224), with avana beige interiors.

The seats and interior appear to be original in the photographs that you posted. The red paint does look good, what a dilemma...

Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts