Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Spider Veloce. Replaced the front and rear exhaust with parts from International-auto but unfortunately, now it does not sound anything like an Alfa. Can anybody recommend an exhaust that sounds like the original? Is Bosal any good?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,497 Posts
My guess is that your old rear exhaust was shot, which is why it sounded louder. It probably now sounds like it did when it came from the factory.

If you want more exhaust noise, you can try an Ansa or just a rear straight pipe. Personally I find those both kind of obnoxiously loud myself, but people have different opinions on exhaust noise.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Tom, can you please provide facts to back up your assertions? :wink2:

I just switched from an Ansa to a "stinger" (in other words, I completely eliminated the rear muffler). The Ansa sounded nice but was too quiet for my taste. The stinger sounds fantastic but is a bit too loud. I'm enjoying being a hooligan for now but may tire of it. Already got yelled at to slow down in my neighborhood while doing 20 in a 25! >:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had a few Alfa's before and it is not so much the loudness that I'm looking for but the "tone" of the muffler. What brand would be the closest to the original? Ansa or Bosal? Has anybody removed the resonator? and what was the result?

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
CISAM exhaust were what was on the car originally. But they closed there doors about a year ago.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Has anybody removed the resonator? and what was the result?
I went through several rendition of the exhaust system before I found one I like.

Yes, I removed the resonator, after it disintegrated, but the sound was a little loud. This was due to the muffler being nearly shot too. I replaced the rear muffler with a stock one and it had a better sound, but not quite I was looking for. Finally, I put on one of those $300 IAP headers, Installed a Flowmaster CAT where the resonator was suppose to be and ran the stock rear muffler. NOW I LIKE THE SOUND A LOT! Not too loud and it sounds like a 4 cyl sports car should.

Go to the muffler shop and have them replace the resonator with a straight piece of pipe. Probably cost about $40. If you think it is too loud, have them weld in a cheap straight muffler. You need to spend a little coin before you find the configuration you like.

You'll also get a little growl out of the exhaust if you remove the stock air cleaner box for one of those K&N jobs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I installed a new Flowmaster bolt on cat and new Bosal center and rear cans.

I must say I like the sound. It's doesn't have a throaty idle like say an old Mustang, but you know it's an Italian sports car when you give it a slight kick in the pants.

Just my two pfennigs-M5

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
i have the ansa exhaust and love it.

not that loud.

a little louder than stock but not even that much.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Re-fit

I just changed our exhaust system using a Flowmaster front pipe/cat, Ansa center muffler and stinger at the rear. These were all "direct fit" parts. The Ansa center required modification as well as the stinger. Lucky I can weld, but ***? after spending close to $600. why?

The sound is good, not too loud

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ever since hearing my first Alfas at the SCCA tracks back in the late '60s I have always thought this was what an Alfa was supposed to sound like:

Bob

·
Supporting Vendor
4,390 Posts
Already got yelled at to slow down in my neighborhood while doing 20 in a 25! >:)
I think that's just a Colorado thing. It happens to me nearly every day in my Super.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The S4 Spiders are very quiet in stock form. As others have mentioned, you have multiple options to tune the sound to what you think it should sound like. The American V-8 crowd has a lot of debates on what their engines should sound like (Flowmaster vs.Magnaflow is a particularly entertaining debate). Do what makes you happy and enjoy your car...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts