Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just rebuilt a 33 16v motor to go in my 76 Sud. The factory manual is quite ambiguous on how to properly set up the cams and belts. There are two sets of marks on the cogs, a small arrow on each, and either an I or a double II on each set.

I have the engine at TDC, so what set of marks should line up when the belts are fully tightened? The "I's" or the arrows? The factory manual shows either depending on what page you are on, which makes it dangerously frustrating.

Also is there any second party workshop manual available that might cover this subject more clearly?

Thanks, Ted

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
The original manual is very misleading, as my brother and I found out a couple of weeks back. You have your set the same as we set ours, and when we rotate the engine by hand everything seems fine.
We noted that the drivers side pulleys had the I and II marks off by what looked to be 90 degrees when the small arrows are lined up as per the diagram, but there was no other way of aligning the arrows:rolleyes:

You can do a check with the cam covers off and watch the orientation of the cams acting on the valves.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 16V belts are well overdue, so I've been boning up a bit, but my reading of the manual is that on the first page diagram, with the I and II marks on the cams meeting with the flywheel markings aligned, you should be at TDC on cylinder no 1 on the firing stroke (at which point you change the belts). When you then turn the crankshaft through 1 rotation, (as in tdc of the exhaust stroke on cyl 1) you are at the point where the T marks on the camshafts should align and therfore have no cam tension on the belt, so you can then reset the tensioners.

Thats how I read it anyway. I have to do it in the next week or so (still!), so let me know if thats not how it goes. The manual is really hard to follow though.

This site used to have a good summary, (and general boxer stuff) but seems to be broken now?

Alfisti.co.uk, buy and sell alfa romeo cars and parts

Anyone know where its gone?

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's as Getagrip describes it. No big deal really.
What I'd REALLY like to know is what the cam specs are, exactly, so that I can set them up with my soon-to-arrive adjustable pulleys.

Nobody seems to have the factory specs for the cams to enable this to happen simply. Can anybody help? I've asked before, but drew a blank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts