Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need an engine for my Alfetta, and I can't even find a bare block for under $500, so I intend on doing an engine swap, and so far I've found 2 candidates: a 1.8L 16V, and an 03 W8 4.0L. Has anyone ever done this before, and how on earth do I adapt a top loader trans flywheel to the transaxle flywheel? Much assistance is needed

Attachments

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
You haven't looked very hard. On this site for only $599, engine and gearbox (not Alfetta gearbox though, but you could resell the gearbox): https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/684744-2-0-liter-engine-w-transmission-599-00-a.html

You will spend way more than $500 making another engine fit ... but your call. Park or sell the Alfetta and purchase a VW is my suggestion.

BTW: Remove the transverse gearbox and you will find there is a typical engine left behind. Nothing to worry about re: "how on earth do I adapt a top loader trans flywheel to the transaxle flywheel?". The question simply is, how do I bolt the VW flywheel/crankshaft to the Alfa drive train ... which sorry to say, requires $'s, engineering and time
Pete

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You haven't looked very hard. On this site for only $599, engine and gearbox (not Alfetta gearbox though, but you could resell the gearbox): https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/684744-2-0-liter-engine-w-transmission-599-00-a.html

You will spend way more than $500 making another engine fit ... but your call. Park or sell the Alfetta and purchase a VW is my suggestion.

BTW: Remove the transverse gearbox and you will find there is a typical engine left behind. Nothing to worry about re: "how on earth do I adapt a top loader trans flywheel to the transaxle flywheel?". The question simply is, how do I bolt the VW flywheel/crankshaft to the Alfa drive train ... which sorry to say, requires $'s, engineering and time
Pete
I've seen this engine on Ebay for weeks, it used to be over $600, and it's from a spider, so I would have to buy an oil pump, water pump, distributor, oil pan, and bellhousing for the transaxle, and maybe the flywheel for it as well

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I've seen this engine on Ebay for weeks, it used to be over $600, and it's from a spider, so I would have to buy an oil pump, water pump, distributor, oil pan, and bellhousing for the transaxle, and maybe the flywheel for it as well
you can use all that parts from your old engine I would say?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have an 1979 Alfetta 2L engine available, long block. I'll sell for $500 + shipping.

·
Super Moderator
9,990 Posts
I need an engine for my Alfetta, and I can't even find a bare block for under $500, so I intend on doing an engine swap
Wait! Slow down, take a few deep breaths.

There, feeling better? Now....

Engine swaps are long, complicated, and most of all expensive. Doing one properly takes a lot of cutting, fitting, and fabricating of custom parts (like whatever it'll take to mate to the top loader trans flywheel to the transaxle flywheel). Believe me, whatever it costs, it will be cheaper/quicker/easier to repair your Alfetta with Alfa parts than trying to turn it into a VW hybrid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts