Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am looking to replace the radiator core support brackets that have been cut off to make room for the 2600 that is currently in place in the engine bay on my 102. I will be reinstalling the original 2000, and fabricating these from scratch does not look like much fun. Does anyone have a terminally rusty body that these parts can be salvaged from?
Thanks, Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello All,

This is just a follow-up request from my earlier post. I am still looking for the mounting brackets for the radiator and electrical parts. In addition, I also need the tubing assemblies that the front bumper mounts to.

Does anyone have a potential doner car from which these pieces may be obtained?

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Steve, you might try contacting the Two Liter Lover, Jay Nuxoll. He has many posts in this forum. Also, I would check ebay for "Alfa Romeo Touring" parts and contact anyone selling Two Liter parts and ask them if they have the radiator supports that they could list or supply you with.
Best regards, Mark

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark. Actually, I have been in touch with Jay recently regarding this subject. He may have the pieces available, but it is questionable if the car is sufficiently deteriorated to warrant cutting pieces out of it. I also inquired with some eBay sellers, but that was awhile ago. I might have to investigate that again. I was hoping that someone recently involved in a Touring Spider restoration might have a leftover shell that is clearly beyond repair.

Regards, Steve

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You make me sound awful.

Doggone it. I hate to cut any car up if it is basically complete with its correct original matching engine. Floors, spare tire wells, door bottoms, rocker panels (what have I left out?) can be made from scratch, but chassis number with engine numbers can't. So I suggested you look through old posts on the BB where someone was fixing up a wrecked two liter body. For example, Charles in Malta (who started the thread "Car back at the mechanic") got pieces to rebuild the nose on his car from a parts car in either Berlin or Spain (can't recall which). And if you go back far enough in the thread (or to the one he was running when he was fixing his car) you can find exactly where that parts car was. Charles needed a left front fender, and the part came off a car the other guy had bought to provide a right front fender for him. That fellow also had a 2300 engine in his car (like Don Peterson) but used its weber carburetor manifold and 2300 air cleaner.

However, I promised that if you don't find one (or if I don't find one for you) that I would reluctantly start scrapping out the one of my three extra spiders that would be the greatest challenge to restore.

Help him out guys! And if one of you wants to buy a two liter to restore, contact me. I am being courted by folks in Australia who are inquiring about all three, wanting to restore them as RHD for use there. As far as anyone knows there are only two in all of that continent, and are now becoming coveted. My comment is, "Man, there are great panel beaters there who can fix anything." Might end up sending a whole container full.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
radiator brackets UK?

ClassicAlfa.com under "used parts" is selling panels from a rusty 2 liter/2000. Photos.
I've found it easy to communicate with Classic Alfa.
But, there's shipping.
Good luck.

Richard

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Richard,

Thank you very much for your reply. That looks like a good lead. I have sent an email to ClassicAlfa. I will let you know if they can help.

Steve

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success!

Well, it looks like Classic Alfa has the pieces I need. They are intact, but attached to the nose panel, which will be sold as one piece. This is probably a good thing, since the metal work in the nose of my car sustained some damage at some earlier date. I should be able to use more of the panel than I originally intended. Yes, shipping will be a bit expensive, but I will be stuffing the box with additional new parts I will be needing down the road a bit.

Thank you again, Richard, for the tip, and thank you, Jay, for your initial offer to cut them from your car.

Now, on to the next issue... Does anyone have a support rod assembly for the trunk lid (AR# 1488.46.701) laying about? Mine is missing and the broomstick currently being used for this purpose will look quite tacky after body and paint work. I did make an inquiry to Classic Alfa this evening as well.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts