Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am trying to restore my 1971 1750 Kamm Tail alfa. Trying to find out, what type of hub caps came with this series? The clip on type like the duetto or the bolt ontype like the 2000?

Cheers

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Welcome to the BB.

The 1750s were fitted with the clip on type wheel covers. And of the two styles available, the Spiders were fitted with the small diameter black ring covers (as opposed to the large diameter black ring covers fitted to the Berlina and GTV).

Hmmm...... can't post an attachment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim,

but i am having trouble being conviced, because I am getting many conflicting answers from a range of sources for the 1971 KAMM tail 1750.
Does anyone have any pictures of a original 1971 1750 Kamm tail with the correct wheels?or even better one picture of the released car from the factory?

Cheers
Peter

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
My pleasure, Peter. :)

I would not rely on photos as the definitive answer though. Even some Alfa press photos differ from the production cars. And Alfa was known to assemble cars with what was at hand when the cars came down the line. This explains the conflicting answers you've received.
In my opinion, unless there is an Alfa published document to the contrary, the parts book prevails.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Here is a photo from a couple of pieces of '71 Alfa sales literature (I don't have a scanner on this computer, so a photo will have to do). They all look the same to me, but sometimes specs change between the photo shoots and actual production. And in Alfa's case, sometimes it seems the specs changed daily, depending on what's in stock. (E.g., how many different oil filter canister manufacturers were there? :D)

Edit: Ooops, looks like all I did was repeat what Jim said. He musta been typing while I was taking pictures. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
I bought a new 1750 Kamm tail spider in 1971, and it came with the hubcaps shown in the advertisement. FWIW, these are a royal PITA. The steel wheels have integral stamped protrusions instead of spring clips like Giuliettas and the hubcap must be distorted to snap over these. Removal requires a big screwdriver (or the sharp end of the factory lug wrench) and leaves big scrape marks and gouges in the painted wheels. I bought a set of the 1972 & later stainless steel center caps and used these in place of the original hubcaps.

Having said all of that, I autocrossed the car extensively and changed tires a lot. If you're interested in absolute originality, the hubcap is the correct fitment. Also, a 1750 Kamm tail Spider is a one year only model and relatively rare for the U.S. We sure liked ours...I even got ARI to write a letter stating a dealer "could" have ordered one from the factory with a limited slip differential. This made it SCCA legal for me to fit one, and the autocross performance improved considerably.

Here is a photo from a couple of pieces of '71 Alfa sales literature (I don't have a scanner on this computer, so a photo will have to do). They all look the same to me, but sometimes specs change between the photo shoots and actual production. And in Alfa's case, sometimes it seems the specs changed daily, depending on what's in stock. (E.g., how many different oil filter canister manufacturers were there? :D)

Edit: Ooops, looks like all I did was repeat what Jim said. He musta been typing while I was taking pictures. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts