Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stupidly broke the only door/trunk/gas tank key for my 1989 Spider. Every locksmith I call says they don't do Alfa's. Does anyone have any idea who I can contact in the GTA to solve this?

Thanks,
Wizzip

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you ever find one, I bought an 86 Spider and wanted a spare set of keys, I was able to get an ignition one but the Locksmith was unable to source the other keys, I have seen them come up on Ebay

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my 83' gtv6 fixed before, both the door and the ignition. They are 2 different kind, the ignition is just like a normal key and the door is a special key like the one used in late 90's mercedes. Alfa stop using that kind of key system in the Milano.

I just order a blank key from IAP for the ignition (cost less than $5.00 each) and give it to my locksmith to cut it ($3.75 each). Easy and no problem at all.

The only problem is the door lock. I try so hard to find out what can I do about it and no one seems to have an answer. Even the Great Shop in Toronto which starts with the "P". The only place I finally find is a Alfa Romeo dealer in England and they need to sell me 3 used replacement locks (both door and the trunk) with 2 keys which cost me 450 EURO. I told that situation to my locksmith and that's what he suggested to me. Find a used door key from different GTV6 and take both door and the trunk locks out for him to recode to accept the new old key. Took me about 3 weeks and cost me around $250.00. If you interested or want to talk to the locksmith, I can give you his location and phone #. He is in Markham, Ontario. Acturally, the locksmith didn't do it all by himself at that time, he had to call his dad for help. You know, old man always a little wiser.

It might be easy for you if you can take those broken pieces and a door lock to the locksmith. It might cost you less than $10.00. Good luck.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Spider door keys

Do you still have the broken key? If so, what is the code number on the handle end? It will start with a 2,4,6,or8. That is the base key number. We have a small supply of the various numbers left over from old dealers. Some are original Alfa and some are aftermarket Taylor brand or Silga, I think it is.
You shouldn't have to resort to spending hundreds of dollars on other locks and keys. The high security ones on GTV-'6s are another story, as your other respondents have noted.
KG
Alfas Unlimited

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I bought an 87 Spider a few months ago that came with 2 engine keys and 1 door key. I needed a clutch master which I bought at Pinarello Motori in Woodbridge, and when I was there asked about key blanks and they had a box of them. Give them a call 905-264-0897. Mike

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I re-read your post and realized your problem was that you broke the only key you had, which makes it difficult, maybe impossible to copy. I just remembered when I was looking for a spare key blank, I came across a website keys4classics.com and remember reading they can sometimes even cut the key if you supply them with the code of the key (assuming the key you have is an original with the code on it). Give it try and good luck.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you are looking for a blank try

Joe at Selective Auto Parts

416 744 3225

15 Oakland Ave
Toronto

He had a handful of original blanks a while back.
He sell parts for Modern car but has Alfa
Parts too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all of you for your help. I got in touch with keys4classics and the coded replacement keys are on their way!

Thanks again.

Wizzip

·
Registered
777 Posts
now i feel like an Archeologist.could it be possible to replace the key by a code thru the vin number.there used to be a guy in brooklyn who could do any key.by it's vin number.he retired several years ago.but there must be a data bank for auto locksmiths.if they have the actual specialty machines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts