Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot seem to remove the %#&$ing 2 13mm nuts underneath the intake manifolds on my SPICA Spider. I have removed the fuel lines. I have removed just about everything remotely in my way except the starter. I have soaked the nuts (which are slightly rounded) in penetrating oil. I have heated them. I have tried 1/4 in drive sockets, 3/8 inch sockets, and 1/2 inch sockets. I have tried every length and thickness wrench. I have used extensions and universal joints. The space seems to be so tight that I just cannot seem to get to them at the correct angle where there’s leverage to do anything, and the wrenches seem to strip the nuts worse. One wrench found itself flying through the garage at high speed ?
Does anyone have a specific tool they’ve used or a setup they’ve tried that will make this task go easier for me? I just want to replace the head gasket and get her running again. Any help would be appreciated because the next step is to remove the entire engine with the cherry picker my wife loves having in the garage ?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
You can leave the intake on and still remove the head. Once the head is off you can r&r the intake. Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can leave the intake on and still remove the head. Once the head is off you can r&r the intake. Good luck
I believe the two nuts underneath the manifold, one on the rear and one on the front, hold the head on, no? It sure feels that way to me but I can’t really see anything despite my best efforts. Even the iPhone shoved underneath the manifold pictures don’t seem to help ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wife might have the answer, let her have at it with the cherry picker
I might find myself hanging from that engine hoist one day ?

Otteud96 I did some more photography under the intake and you’re right y bolts just holding the manifold. The head is just really stuck on the studs. Using the head removal tool is working but taking a very long time to lift the head.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
just spray the studs with a penetrating lube and move the head back down and spray and pull the head up. spray repeat and over time this will help with hopefully minimal damage. good luck

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Are all the fasteners off? if so, try the rope method by lowering #2 cylinder to BDC, fill the cylinder with rope, rotate the engine to bring the #2 cylinder to TDC. Should pop the head. I have not seen but heard of cases where the steel studs have rusted/oxidized to the surrounding aluminum head. Hopefully this is not your case.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I have the Alfa Head puller and I’ve got the head off the block about 1/3 of an inch after lots of penetrating oil and time. The **** nut from the puller stripped tonight so I had to stop working on it. The studs around cylinders 1 and 2 seem to be the stuck ones. I’m out of Peroni and Moretti anyway so I’ll restock, buy a new nut for the puller, and get back to it in a day or so.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Put 1/4 rope in no. 2 and 3 cly. This gives it a more even push. Make sure that those clys are at bdc then stuff a lot of rope in, then use the car itself to push the head up. Just push the car forward it reverse in first gear

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Keep spraying the lube and moving the head up then spray then back down. Hopefully you have removed all head nuts and the two 8 mm bolts in the front cover. When the head is up spray from the bottom side as well. Keep working it. I have never been a fan of the rope trick as other issues can arise, but in order for that process you must remove the cams as well. Good luck and lots of patience

1 - 12 of 12 Posts