Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am brand new here so any help thanks in advance. I am a small car collector and was just offered a Lancia Fulvia HF. It has 70,000 miles and completely set up for vintage track racing. I know very little about these car but absolutely feel in love when I saw it last week.No rust other than one little bubble on the rear wheel opening. It is pretty ready to go and has dual webers. Looking for any help as to what to pay for it. I will try to post some pictures. I am located on the east side of the US and the car is about 50 miles from me. Just looks like a ton of fun!!!! Thanks Jay

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
First, welcome to the BB.

That's an interesting Fulvia, but it isn't a real HF. The value will depend on a lot of factors--among other things, what is it really? what shape is the body in? and what's the condition/level of preparation of the mechanicals?

There's a recent (and useful) "How do I tell a good Fulvia from a bad one?" thread on Lancisti.net: How do I tell a good Fulvia from a bad one? - the Lancisti Forums But we can cover a little of the same ground here.

What shape the body's in you've already answered--sort of. Besides any obvious rust, you'll want to check the subframe mounting points, the sills, and the top of the front wheel arches. Just as important is the 'what is it really?' question, and in this case we pretty much know that answer, too.

That's the ex-Dick Smothers 1.2 (chassis 818.130.015066), which means it started life as a standard street car, and later had the bumpers removed, the windows changed to acrylic, a 1.3 engine dropped in, and was generally prepped for racing. (A genuine HF would have an 818.140 [1.2HF] or 818.340 [1.3HF] chassis number).

The engine and mechanicals should be in pretty decent shape. It clearly has a reproduction Gp. 4 manifold to accommodate Weber DCOEs, probably 40 DCOEs. Other than that, it has the black valve cover of a standard 1.3. The Cromodora alloys aren't original to the car, but they're obviously correct Lancia alloys and do add value. The gearbox should be a 4-speed with a leva lunga (long, angled shift lever), unless it's been changed. The tires are smaller than stock, which will change the effective gearing; quicker acceleration, but lower top speed--probably better suited to rally or hillclimb than track.

Have you driven it yet? The weather conditions aren't great, but a test drive should tell you quite a bit: does it pull to one side under acceleration or lift-off? (it shouldn't--it means the track rods will need replacement) does the steering feel loose? (if so, it may just be a matter of tightening the box) does the timing chain rattle? (not much of a problem or a big problem, depending on how noisy) does the engine rev smoothly through the rev range? (a 1.3 should be very sweet) is there a lot of gearbox noise, or does it jump out of gear? (both obviously bad). In good condition, properly aligned and set up, Fulvias handle incredibly well--absolutely fantastic drivers.

Then come the intangibles. It does have some period race history, and celebrity ownership. Last time I looked, the asking price was about $10,500, which isn't a ridiculous price, but it's been on the market for a very long time.

I hope some of that helps. Good luck, and keep us posted. (Well, mostly, keep me posted; I'm putting together a register of all the Fulvias in the US & Canada, and I'd like to get your contact info by PM if you end up buying it.)

·
Registered
830 Posts
I am brand new here so any help thanks in advance. I am a small car collector and was just offered a Lancia Fulvia HF. It has 70,000 miles and completely set up for vintage track racing. I know very little about these car but absolutely feel in love when I saw it last week.No rust other than one little bubble on the rear wheel opening. It is pretty ready to go and has dual webers. Looking for any help as to what to pay for it. I will try to post some pictures. I am located on the east side of the US and the car is about 50 miles from me. Just looks like a ton of fun!!!! Thanks Jay

Agree with 1.6HF

·
Registered
64 Posts
It appears the auction just completed with a sale price of $7625. It's not clear if it actually sold to a buyer, though.

Lots of other commentary over on BaT.
Thanks for the link. I had inquired at 1967 Lancia Fulvia 1.3 Spec Sheet
and was advised of the following:

This car is currently the subject of a dispute between myself and a guy who let me park the car at his house...I just learned he's chosen to settle the dispute unilaterally by putting the Lancia up for auction. I am contacting the auction house to inform them that I hold title to this vehicle.
Same goes for my BMW 2002.
I'll let you know what happens.

Looks like someone got a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thanks for the link. I had inquired at 1967 Lancia Fulvia 1.3 Spec Sheet
and was advised of the following:

This car is currently the subject of a dispute between myself and a guy who let me park the car at his house...I just learned he's chosen to settle the dispute unilaterally by putting the Lancia up for auction. I am contacting the auction house to inform them that I hold title to this vehicle.
Same goes for my BMW 2002.
I'll let you know what happens.

Looks like someone got a pretty good deal.
I see why the car has being for sale for so long! hope the car finds a good home:cool::D:rolleyes::eek::);):eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts