Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me identify these two switches? I'm having issues with fuel and temp guages with my 78 Spider.

Many Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
bottom one is brake, top, not up on the 78's but most have the water temp there. The ones I can comment on only have one wire. Looiks almost aftermakret to me?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Strange. The pix on top should have a single wire going to it as the coolant temp sensor. The other one looks like a ground on a brake line junction. The wiring diagram does not show that. I think maybe a previous owner did some custom wiring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bottom picture I sent earlier is on the passenger side next to front fuel filter housing.
Here's another picture of the sensor on the top. But what is the switch underneath that?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Ok. That switch on top was on 77 model engines and was a thermal (coolant temp) switch that controlled the advance on the dual point Marelli distributor. Although you say yours is a '78 model, back then the Alfa factory was infamous for mixing/matching, and running-over parts from year to year models.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Here's another picture of the sensor on the top. But what is the switch underneath that?
That is the coolant temperature sensor for the temp gauge on the dash.

The switch on the device in the bottom pic of post #1 is the brake failure warning switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts