Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
Can you tell me if the emblem on the front center bumper piece is suppose to match the rear emblem on the spoiler in color of a 1983 Spider? I am planning on buy this piece but I want to make sure I do not buy the wrong emblem.

Also, does anybody know why they have two different color Alfa logos. See the pic of my rear logo and the standard logo. Should the front one be the same as the rear??

Thanks for your help!!
ED

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
My '85 has the "standard" logo (i.e., the one with the red cross) on the back as well as front.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
...does anybody know why they have two different color Alfa logos.
They don't. They all start out with the same colors. The emblem on the spoiler has delaminated resulting in the colors being incorrect.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They don't. They all start out with the same colors. The emblem on the spoiler has delaminated resulting in the colors being incorrect.
WOW...So you are saying the the light blue cross started life out as a red cross but has faded? Interesting...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Whyfore

WOW...So you are saying the the light blue cross started life out as a red cross but has faded? Interesting...
papajam is deadon...Years ago :D I worked for an emblem mfg (many auto and home products) where the process involved the rollcoating of aluminum sheets with a base color (usually gold but could be any color), with later colors and designs screenprinted in sequential passes. Sheets could then be punched out/embossed / laminated with adhesive backings / sheet or individually top coated with clear protective urethane in any combination of operations before sale. Quite a lot goes into an emblem to make it look good (Branding), and last(Chemistry)...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
papajam is deadon...Years ago :D I worked for an emblem mfg (many auto and home products) where the process involved the rollcoating of aluminum sheets with a base color (usually gold but could be any color), with later colors and designs screenprinted in sequential passes. Sheets could then be punched out/embossed / laminated with adhesive backings / sheet or individually top coated with clear protective urethane in any combination of operations before sale. Quite a lot goes into an emblem to make it look good (Branding), and last...
Wow...That is wild how the color can change soo much and soo evenly. So red and dark blue it is!! Thanks guys for your help!!!

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Wow...That is wild how the color can change soo much and soo evenly. So red and dark blue it is!! Thanks guys for your help!!!
Not to belabor this, but I think the point is that the color didn't change. Rather, the red overlay has been peeled off. It's pretty typical for kids to peel layers of VW or BMW emblems off, leading to costly replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Yes the base coat of paint on the emblem was blue with a layer of red applied on top of it. The red has peeled off; no doubt partially by itself at first and later with the help of busy little hands.

SEE: The blessing and curse of the P.O. On one hand they kept your Alfa alive until the day you could bring her home to love and shelter. On the other hand, there's no telling what the P.O. may have done. In my case it included replacing a lost driveshaft nut with a lugnut...

·
Registered
16 Posts
But isn´t there a clear-coat over the colors, as I can see scratches in it on the pic which have shadow on the light blue?!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
But isn´t there a clear-coat over the colors, as I can see scratches in it on the pic which have shadow on the light blue?!
Yep Chris,,,There is a nice thick layer of clear coat over the whole emblem which gives it depth. PO was an older woman and I doubt that she would have been out messing around with the emblems or anything car. She was a "Fix It Again Tony" type of person.

ED

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
...the red overlay has been peeled off.
There is more to this overlay than just making the cross red. It also makes the snake dark green, the space between the two solid bars on the crown red, the infidel red and the outer border dark blue.

I saved this overlay from the trunk badge of our 89 Spider but just recently tossed it without ever having taken a pic. :(

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Yep Chris,,,There is a nice thick layer of clear coat over the whole emblem which gives it depth. PO was an older woman and I doubt that she would have been out messing around with the emblems or anything car. She was a "Fix It Again Tony" type of person.
I hope you are right -- at least if "Tony" knew what he was doing. You'll find out around here that the mythical "PO" does a lot of things that nobody else would think of doing.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
While we are on the front emblem topic...the silver that travels around the badge holder on the front ..does anyone have an idea as to a source for it or simple replacement idea....
V/R
chris

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's not evil toddlers. And there is laminate on top as already mentioned. Your blue back is original and correct. It should have the blue back and red front as my '85 non-restored silver has.

I'd take a pic but it's in the garage and dark and stormy now. Happy to do it if you need me to later. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Apparently, this is a debate that has come up before, and it doesn't look like they agreed either:

ALFAGTV6.COM • View topic - Why is my alfa badge this color...?

It's a very interesting question. From a branding perspective, companies normally want consistency in their trademark usage. If they divert from the "standard," it is typically for a special edition product.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hah... interesting. Well I didn't buy the car from a dealer, but it sure looks like a legit blue badge. It has 30 odd some K miles, unlikely the po thought it a priority to change out the rear badge. Ciao!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts