Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to detach the hand throttle from the center console on a 1971 spider?

This is my first Alfa, and as my first project, I wanted to replace the gear shift boots ...
Gear shift boot.jpg

... and fix some of the console lights and switches that aren’t working properly.

I’ve tried to read all the past postings on removing the console; but unless I have missed it, there’s nothing specifically about how to detach the hand throttle from the console. I noticed that on the underside of the console, there’s a metal clip thingy that looks like it might hold the cable housing to the console.
Throttle clip.jpg

I straightened the two ends of the clip and pulled it out, thinking that this was the trick, but I still can’t get the throttle to pull out of the console. I’m reluctant to force it too much, as I’m learning (the hard way) exactly how brittle 45-year old plastic can be. What am I missing? Can anyone tell me how to do this? Many thanks!

-Sandy

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
the other end of the throttle cable is attached to the throttle linkage under the hood near the booster, typically the cable center goes through an "eye" in the end of the linkage and has a two piece set-stop. Once disconnected from that linkage the center shaft will pull out from the console.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate your response. But yes, I have disconnected the cable from the throttle linkage in the engine bay. That’s not my problem. What I’m having trouble with is disconnecting the cable (or more precisely, I suppose, the cable housing) from the console. As it is, I could pull the cable completely out of the housing, but the housing would still be attached to the console. In addition to the housing that shows in my second photo, there is also a metallic piece on the outside of the console.
outer piece.jpg
What I can't figure out is how to uncouple the housing on the underside of the console (previous photo) from the metallic piece in the above photo.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm fairly sure that chrome cap needs to be levered off and that will release the outer cable, bear in mind I'm not 100% on that - reinstalling the inner cable through the bulkhead is an absolute sod on RHD but might be easier on LHD

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's been a while since I did this: I would look for a "U" shaped square clip on the underside (inside) up against the console, your first picture
I believe the U-shaped square clip is the metal thingy I’ve already removed (my original post). Removing it didn't seem to make much difference.

I'm fairly sure that chrome cap needs to be levered off and that will release the outer cable, bear in mind I'm not 100% on that - reinstalling the inner cable through the bulkhead is an absolute sod on RHD but might be easier on LHD
I'm about to the point of doing some serious levering ... and hoping for the best.

-Sandy

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Once the U-shape metal retainer is out, the cable housing will push out from the back side. Be gentle but firm!

Show some photos of your car! Im doing the same as you -- see thread 'S2 dream spider'

·
Registered
114 Posts
The metal clip slides into "leaf springs" on the black plastic square behind the console. Once you remove the metal clip, you will be able to press these plastic leaf springs, and then pull the throttle out through the front.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success! Thanks, everybody! Once I got the cable housing out of the console and could examine it, it all made sense.

IMG_0968.jpg

As Eric W points out, there are two "leaf springs" on the square neck of the housing; you have to press these in to move the housing out the front of the console. The U-shaped square metal clip, when inserted, keeps the "leaf springs" on the housing from compressing. My problem earlier was that even with the U-shaped clip removed, I couldn't see the "leaf springs" and just kept pushing against them.

Goats, I've enjoyed following your thread. Keep up the good work ... and keep sending posts and photos of your progress. Man, you are waaaay ahead of me on the skills scale though. Maybe one day I'll try tackling a tranny or engine rebuild, but right now that's out of my league. However, with such a terrific resource as the BB, who knows? I've only had my car for four months, so I've got plenty of things to address right now though. You were kind enough to ask for photos of my car. It’s not exactly looking it’s best right now, but here are a couple ….

Alfa 01.jpg
Alfa 03.jpg

Again, everyone, thanks for the help.

-Sandy

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
WOW That car will be driving around in a couple weeks at most! Great looking interior !

Don't psyche yourself out on working on this stuff. Buy a workshop book and read it, none of this stuff is really complex. Some does take special tools but most can be worked around. remember that lots of guys repaired these back in the old days with no internet, no manuals, etc. So when the time comes, do 'push your envelope' on what you think you can do! I'm trying to psyche myself into doing my floor pans --- :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the encouragement, Goats! Once I get through my ever-expanding "to-do" list, I may try something more ambitious. Hope all goes well with the floor pans! I'm thankful that that's one thing I don't need to address, but I'll be interested to see how yours goes.

-Sandy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts