Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting around to installing the hood latch, door catch and trunk latch mechanism on my 58 Spider. My painter lost the original hardware, so I need to know what size/type bolts, nuts, screws, etc... are needed to install these parts. Here are some photos showing the hardware I need information on. So looks like I need four bolts to secure the hood parts, four philips screws to secure the door parts, four screws (two longer and two shorter?) and two cap nuts to secure the trunk latch, two small sheet metal screws to secure the trunk lock cable guide wheel and two screws to secure the trunk latch pin? Thanks in advance for the assistance!

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
OKP in Germany has published scans of the 750/101 parts catalogue on their website. All the info you need will be there.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Did you or your painter (who must be flogged at high noon) take any reference photos? As mentioned, the Giulietta parts book describes the size of the hardware (most of the time) for each application.

But, bolt head sizes and whether or not any phillips screws, and what style phillips may have been used on a ‘58 model is certainly a question....even from the researching I’ve done on my ‘61 101. My door latch screws do not resemble the ones in those photos. They were wider headed. From memory, I think those are 6mm, and the built-in nuts behind them are a pain to get lined up so as not to cross-thread them. No access from behind.

There were many of my screws that were flat pan head, but many were oval headed. Some chromed, some not. Not to mention the slotted little cheeseheads that are like trying to find little diamonds.

Belmetric in Massachusetts is a huge help, but a parts book will be needed to get your order correct to match what they may have. I’ve used calipers on my originals that needed replaced and still didn’t get the exact lengths or head size right.

Many times I wished I had found that guy who had saved a 40-year bucket of lobo bolts and screws in his garage!

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Someone (my guess is the ever-thorough Vern in Oregon?) once published an exhaustive list of every fastener used in these cars, with descriptions of each. It will be somewhere on the BB.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The parts book is going to be of very little help, since the Body section lists very few fasteners. The fastener list Alex referred to was for a Sprint I believe.
That said, it is not difficult to figure out the size and type of fastener required in most locations. The challenge is in finding those matching the original head sizes used back in the day.
The most obvious example is In your photo 2.
The M6 flat head screws used on the door latch which need a 14mm head. Hopefully someone can help you with these. Newco Products do reproduce these unfortunately in cad plate and at Ferrari prices.
In your photo 3, those should be flat head screws, not oval head I believe.
In your photo 4 the original M6 screws had 11.5 mm heads.
If it was my car, I would pursue getting the correct screws for the door latches and live with the rest.
Joe

·
Registered
99 Posts
Someone (my guess is the ever-thorough Vern in Oregon?) once published an exhaustive list of every fastener used in these cars, with descriptions of each. It will be somewhere on the BB.

I would think of Vern also, but the spreadsheet I’ve used was from Carl Davis. I’m sure there’s a copy on the 750-101 groups.io discussion board.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Alex, et al;

Regarding the ever-thorough Vern, who is/was this amazing OCD-ridden individual? On which did cars did he focus his efforts?

Ray

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ray, Vern Liesinger is very much an active Giulietta owner, restorer, driver in southern Oregon. He has a beautiful Sprint, Spider, and a perfect early Sprint, believed to be the lowest serial number Giulietta Sprint in North America. I saw it for the first time at Concorso Italiano a couple years ago. Richard Wigley of the Giulietta register and I were convinced it was the best Alfa of the event. The judges must have known something we didn‘t.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I've been searching on the website for a Giulietta fasteners spreadsheet. No luck yet.

I would really like to know the thread size/pitch for the fasteners in photo 1 and 5. So the bolts that secure the hood latches and the two screws that secure the trunk latch "pin".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts