Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow GTV6 freaks!
I am restoring a Maratona for a customer, and he likes the stock metric wheel look, but not thrilled about the metric TRX thing.
I know I must have a thousand pics of all my cars with every wheel, but not on this computer.
Could y'all help me out with pics of the 4-5 basic stock wheels of the GTV6's run?
I think I remember there are 5 total, including the metric;
Campagnolo
Bwa Campanatura
Metric TRX
Wine Glass
?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Awesome! I have seen those in 4 different paint scheme's
Thank you Sir!

·
Registered
663 Posts

Reactions: HeavyMetalAlfa

·
Registered
663 Posts
I believe there are wheels in this style from both capabilities and Benzoni, the campys are magnesium alloy and lighter. They require special prep to repaint. I have been told not to use them for a track car unless carefully inspected as poorly kept magnesium wheels can be prone to failure.

I don’t have a pic of the later Milano-style wineglass wheels from speeedline.

the ronal A1 was an official alfa accessory and stamped with script Alfa Romeo on the face of the hub.

the 15” OZ SZ style Monday wheels were also an Alfa accessory but came later

the later phone dial wheels from a Milano work, from both speedline and Benzoni , I have seen posts from the Milano people that say the Benzonis have a wider offset.

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yup those are the speedline TRX wheels, they came on some ‘84 and ‘85 cars, I think they are really attractive but the TRX thing is bad. I had a white ‘85 “budget” gtv6 with velour, no sunroof, gran truisms graphics, 4:10 transaxle, TRX wheels. ( it’s still alive super well cared for by a BB member). I replaced TRX with OZ. TRX Original 200/60vr365 tires NLA. I have researched and 220 will fit but super expensive and old tech. The NTM wheel is a nice reproduction but of course $$.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ronal A1 consistently looks awesome across all gtv6...I had 15x7 on Alfetta GT long ago. I think my favorite of all and reproductions are available.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
The later GTV6 also came with the 15x6 "Wine glass" wheels.

Forgive the horrible photo, it's all I have. But a quick search should turn some up.

I'd recommend the Ronal A1 style to him.

Reactions: Peter A

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
When I was deliberating which rims to save out for my project GTV6, I liked the looks of the TRX phone dials the best. Even tho they are metric, new tires can be found thru Coker. Those are manufactured new using 1985 technology, and now on the pricey side. My second choice was the 1986 wine glass rims. Before I totally made my mind up I found an option in Europe that possessed the best of both rims. ALFA Teledials have a similar look to the TRX units, but can be had in 15", 16", and 17" sizes. A friend in Ireland located a set of 5 used ones for me. As the Teledials came off a FWD ALFA, the center bores had to be opened up a bit on the back sides to work on RWD hubs.

I'm only aware of 3, maybe 4, stock wheel styles. Wine glass, TRX metric, and the very similar Campagnolos/Benzonis. If you count the black paint on the 1984 Campys, I get 4 or 5 total.

Each of the stock rims came with their own set of minor complaints:
1) The TRXs are metric.
2) The wine glasses are said to be the most fragile in curb and pothole encounters.
3) And the Campy styles have Electron metal that can turn to a white dust under the right conditions. Plus they were available for 4 years... so 4 times more common than either of the other two.

Project GTV6.JPG

·
Registered
663 Posts
The Coker tire website lists TRX 200/60hr365 as new old stock not for road use. The Michelin website says the 220/55vr365 will fit the size of the Alfa speedline trx wheel - although your tire fitter may complain because the bead construction of the TRX tire will require patience and manhandling to mount without damaging the tire or wheel. At $336 per tire from Coker that is painful for 220, the NOS 200’s are $119 but good only for shows. maybe my info is flawed?

Not budget but if really committed to the TRX style wheel I would get new ones from NTM. The cost of the wheel partially made easier by the cheaper and better tires available in 205/50-15, 205.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Registered
663 Posts
Agree that the wineglass wheels bend easily. The early campys are really light and - if cared for - strong for street use. My mech shop says not to use them for a track car though, for what that’s worth to the BB. Interesting that Alfa used up their stock of early campy wheels, painted red, on the Milano Turbo Evoluzione in the late 1980s!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the look of the wineglass wheel, but I have broken 2 of them in 28 years, albeit on rough, but seriously cool back roads!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts