Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help!!! I am completely baffled, car is only running on cylinders 1, 5 and 6. Here’s what I’ve done to the car:
Changed heads, head gaskets, fuel injectors, oil pan gasket, cap, rotor, plugs, wires.
Car started up immediately sounded great but exhaust valves were adjusted to tight. Put it back together 180 out, bent valve on #2.

In lieu of changing valve and guide used another head I have. The heads I just installed had performance cams, I put the cam in the new head installed and now it barely starts, and only runs on 3 cylinders.

Compression on all 6 cylinders are between 140-165, marks on cams are aligned, crank is at “P”, rotor pointed to #1, #1 wire is aligned with mark on distributor. Pulled fuel rail to verify injectors working, they all are, all 6 plugs have fire....timing light shows it’s timed correctly. Verified grounds, ECU is getting 12.2 volts.

What am I missing???

·
Richard Jemison
7,987 Posts
Did you set valve lash for the "Performance" cams? Typically they use tighter lash.
Do you have the firing order correct?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t have the specs for the cams...they were set at .25 exhaust, and .43 intake installed when I got them off a running motor. On the head I installed them in 1&3 are at .50 and 2 at .60, need to order the spacers...firing order is 142536

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The head was from a Milano, right from GTV6...is there any reason they would not work together?

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
What car are we talking about? Has it been sitting for some time? Did it run, then not run? Fuel pump runs? Fuel pressure ok?

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
Verify that the plug wires are in the correct order in the distributor cap.
Are you using OEM plug wires that have balance resistors? All wires should read about 1100 ohms end to end.
Check that all of the grounds from the FI computer that are terminated on the cam cover are soundly connected. I think that there are two connectors, each with 3 wires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
85 GTV6, Plug wires are in correct order, new Bosch Iridium plugs, all plugs have black powder look....I have not checked fuel pressure, going to track down wires off the double relay tomorrow....

It ran before I took the heads off...everything was functioning.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
Try going back to basic nickel plugs. You don't need iridium on a car where it's that easy to change plugs. I personally have had bad luck on Alfas trying to use platinum or iridium plugs when it was designed for nickel. And unfortunately I don't remember why from my days at Denso.

A new set of plugs is also a cheap test when they get fouled. I have tried cleaning fouled plugs that just wouldn't fire but a new set fired right up. I think the ceramic part gets too fouled and causes shorts.

Reactions: ghnl

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just swapped fuel pressure regulator, no luck. Changed the double relay, no luck....I have a spare ECU, last 3 digits are 113 ( original ends in 132) swapped them, no change.....it starts up, sounds like it’s running on 3 Cylinders...then dies

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rotor pointed at 1, line on distributor on point with #1 plug wire. Cams and Crankshaft lined up. What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Starts and dies generally indicates running just on the cold start system.
Does your fuel pump run with afm flap open and key on? Vacuum leaks, especially in the big air duct? I agree with the above about spark plugs, if you don’t have a second good set then take yours out and heat them with a propane torch until the electrode glows to clean them.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'd try going back to your original wires. Balanced resistance is needed for this system. Maybe even back to your original plugs too. If it runs on 3 cylinders, and has compression on all, I have to think the problem is spark. Info you are giving is good. Sounds like you are working in the right direction.

To make you feel a bit better, I had a "no fire" issue on the Milano a couple of years ago. After much swapping around of components, including coil, ECU, distributor, etc. I finally reinstalled all the old parts and it fired right up. Never did figure out what was wrong. Took about 2 months and much patience.

·
Registered
591 Posts
While you are trying to fix this, keep the electrical connector to the cold start injector unplugged.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, switched plugs back to normal NGK’s, put on all plug wires...same!!!

Questions:

1. Will a 81 GTV6 ECU work in an 85 GTV6?
2. Is there any test besides the input volts that can be done to measure whether the ECU is operating?

QUOTE="Mark_toro, post: 8599376, member: 9765"]
I'd try going back to your original wires. Balanced resistance is needed for this system. Maybe even back to your original plugs too. If it runs on 3 cylinders, and has compression on all, I have to think the problem is spark. Info you are giving is good. Sounds like you are working in the right direction.

To make you feel a bit better, I had a "no fire" issue on the Milano a couple of years ago. After much swapping around of components, including coil, ECU, distributor, etc. I finally reinstalled all the old parts and it fired right up. Never did figure out what was wrong. Took about 2 months and much patience.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I meant put on plug wires

Alright, switched plugs back to normal NGK’s, put on all plug wires...same!!!

Questions:

1. Will a 81 GTV6 ECU work in an 85 GTV6?
2. Is there any test besides the input volts that can be done to measure whether the ECU is operating?

QUOTE="Mark_toro, post: 8599376, member: 9765"]

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
88B on the double relay isn’t getting power...and should both wires on the Fuel Injectors be energized?

·
Premium Member
16,711 Posts
My own experience is that I've used Iridiums in all our Alfas for years, and they have never given a problem. Just one less thing to fiddle with, knowing that they work well and don't need to be messed with for thousands of miles.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Both wires on each injectors will be energised because the injectors fire at the same time they are not sequential,in other words the wiring for the injectors is in series or linked like xmas tree lights

1 - 20 of 28 Posts