Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just took a photo of the engine number of my GTA for the FIVA papers. And what did I see? Some strange traces of water which look like there is water coming out of the block. I couldn`t see this before because the carburettors obstruct the view. What do you think? Fissure in the block??? Thanks for any qualified advice. Lurani

Attachments

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
The best way to find out where coolant is leaking from is to add some fluorescent dye to the coolant (e.g. this one) and, using a UV light, it will be immediately obvious if you have a leak there.

Assuming you do have a leak, you could try using CarGo ceramic sealant or maybe Moroso ceramic sealant, but both of these require the engine to be drained of all traces of antifreeze and thoroughly flushed before use. There are companies who seal engine blocks for racing teams, but this would require that you remove and strip the engine completely.

I must admit, I'm puzzled, as it seems like a strange place to have a leak.

Alex.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 2 dark lines, 1 in the middle, and the other just at the top of the stain are cracks.
This sort of damage is normally caused by water in the block freezing, and expanding, but can also be caused by fatigue.It is where the thin water jacket wall meets the base of the block. There are various methods of repair, but all require a full strip down.

Chris

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I have a GTA block that was frozen & cracked at the same place.
In having it repaired it had to be peen welded and then had to be put in a huge press to straighten the main bores. Then a plate was made to go on the top side of the block above the welded area, to raise it up to make it flat again. Not cheap !
Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts