Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I need help.
I will be buying a 70's or 80's spider .
What are the problems I need look for?
What model years are better?
I live in Canada and will buy one on ebay.
I do not want to get burned!
Gary

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Rust. Don't matter how good the mechanical condition of the car is, if it has rust- and if you're not a body mechanic, buy something else.

1986 is my favorite year because I've got one. Some people will claim one year is better than another, but I like the rear spoiler and bumpers on the 1986 Graduate with AC, 125,000+ miles, and that had a lot of problems you see here everyday. Thanks to the BB, I solved all of them and now have a dependable exotic Italian automobile I bought for less than $3000.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
From a reliability point of view, parts availability and performance the S3 spider is the one to look for. Best of all is the 90 Spider with the S3 body but electric cooling fans and Bosch Motronic Engine management, with low back pressure exhaust manifolds, hotter cam and higher compression.

Easier to find and pretty darn close is the 85 to 89 Spider, it has monopod inst panel and ECU activated VVT.

Look at the Toronto section of this BB for all the info you need to know if you want to bring an Alfa into Canada.

Best regards, Elio (Bin there done that in 2004!)

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
From a reliability point of view, parts availability and performance the S3 spider is the one to look for. Best of all is the 90 Spider with the S3 body but electric cooling fans and Bosch Motronic Engine management, with low back pressure exhaust manifolds, hotter cam and higher compression.

Easier to find and pretty darn close is the 85 to 89 Spider, it has monopod inst panel and ECU activated VVT.

Look at the Toronto section of this BB for all the info you need to know if you want to bring an Alfa into Canada.

Best regards, Elio (Bin there done that in 2004!)
The L-Jet and Motronic cars (early 80's to early 90's) are pretty reliable. Apart from maintenance items, I work on my wife's '88 less than the others.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Also, assuming you are from Ontario. You should consider 87 or earlier. All cars before the 1988 MY are eTest exempt!!!!!

Elio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts