Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

While I am waiting for my seats to come back from the upholsterer, I started taking a look at the top and top frame.

The top didn't fit well, and the PO had told me that I would have to fuss with it to get it to work correctly. But, after looking at it last night, I think that I am going to need to source some parts for the frame.

I don't know the names of the parts in question, so I will post a picture of what I am talking about (as is my usual). The very front piece is bent in a few places, making the fit not work right. Actually, the sheet metal on it looks as though it had been wrinkled and then straightened back out. This is not shown in the picture, so you will have to trust me on that.

Then the first side piece has been welded to the front piece on both sides of the frame....and welded very poorly at that. It looks as though several layers of welding bead were laid to build up the metal to close a gap. As you can imagine, that is not a good recipe to make something work well. You can see this welding in the picture. The other side is actually worse.

So, I believe that I am going to need to find at least the front piece and the first side piece for each side.

I suppose that it might be possible for someone who really knows what he is doing to bend the pieces right. But, how to find such a person.

Beyond that, who might be willing to part with these pieces? I am hoping not to buy an entire frame to avoid refinishing everything.

Anyway, I could really use some of your opinions and ideas on this one.

Thanks as always for all the great info that I get here on Alfabb!

Jon

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,036 Posts
Spider top frames

First, is your car a Giulia, or Giulietta:confused:? Some Giulietta's have altered first top bows on to allow the use of Giulia canvas:rolleyes:. The late Giulietta had the front "high bow" frame, while Giulia's used a low front bow. Then again if your spider is a 750, thats different still from the 101 Giulietta or Giulia:p. What you need will depend on what car you have, and if you want it original or somewhat altered. None of these frames are very common on the used market:(. You may end up having a good shop make up some replica parts unless you get lucky and can turn up a whole frame for your car:cool:. :D Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, is your car a Giulia, or Giulietta:confused:? Some Giulietta's have altered first top bows on to allow the use of Giulia canvas:rolleyes:. The late Giulietta had the front "high bow" frame, while Giulia's used a low front bow. Then again if your spider is a 750, thats different still from the 101 Giulietta or Giulia:p. What you need will depend on what car you have, and if you want it original or somewhat altered. None of these frames are very common on the used market:(. You may end up having a good shop make up some replica parts unless you get lucky and can turn up a whole frame for your car:cool:. :D Gordon Raymond
I have a giulietta 750. Nothing is easy with these cars, huh? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
12,036 Posts
What fun!

Yup! You have a hard one:p. You will have to communicate with other restorers and find a 750 owner with a frame he can loan you to copy. You won't find one on E-Bay:rolleyes:. Guess is, your frame is a shortened 101, (worst case:() or a damaged 750 (best case:)). Fortunately, there are enough people restoring these early Giulietta's you might find one in the middle of a restoration. Try posting on some other Alfa BB areas, like wanted, or restorations as well as here for another helpful 750 owner. Meanwhile you will need a really good restoration shop lined up to make you 100% perfect replica bows and frame parts. Are you sure your windshield frame is correct for a 750? You may need the top header made up as wel:eek:l. It WILL be a project:cool:! :DGordon Raymond

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
And from long experience, I know how hard it is to get a Giulia soft top (with and undamaged, original frame) to seal against the frame and side windows and almost not leak:eek: If the windshield assembly has been removed (e.g., to replace the glass or the seals, which by now are surely toast), it is very likely that something will be out of alignment and leaks will be a way of life. One option: live without the soft top, always drive faster than 55 mph in the rain (so you wont get wet), and invest in a tonneau and car cover:D Life could be worse -- think of the old Lotus Super Sevens!
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts