Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got one? Might need it as mine might have the cable broken off inside and it's been that way a LONG time from the log of maintenance records, each with the same mileage. Can't think of what else it is as the speedo checks out and a new cable won't spin when disconnected from the speedo and observed by a deputy in the passenger seat. We're going to check the depth of hole tomorrow against a good one in a tranny on someone elses floor. Any more bright ideas would be welcomed.

PS Reed Cearley rebuilt the box. We never considered it to be afoul. and yes they are not interchangeable with the split case.

Thanks in advance, wimperingly, Uncle

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dear Uncle Whimper,
If needed, send me a P.M.
I believe in tunnel-cases, could be one of a few different ratios?
Laurence

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you mean the 'depth of hole' as how much cable length could go in, it's about an inch.
I had problems with repeatedly breaking the cable end off. With the nut screwed down tight the cable housing was not rigid against the drive. I think I was missing a bushing or something. A new cable, unlike the original, or first replacement solved the problem.

Doug

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell me more... did you get the stub out of the housing spindle? How? I tried a new cable but obviously it only goes in half way and never really engages in the square drive end.. as I stated the rmainenance records go back a long time and the mechanics were Alfa guys like Paul Glynn in Essex MA. Each time it was serviced, it showed the same mileage. When I bought it in 2005 I drove it around the block and parked it until now, never noting the speedo not working. They must have been aware of the problem and had no quick easy cure. I'll double check the ratios, Laurence. It's a N street car so it is probablya 4.56

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 4.56 (9/41) .. 9 teeth as you know. definitely something blocking the cable as it only goes in 1/2 way and not engaging.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Take out the drive from the box and smartly tap it face down and with a bit of luck the broken length of cable will fall out.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Take out the drive from the box and smartly tap it face down and with a bit of luck the broken length of cable will fall out.
Good idea.. or else turn the car on it's side and shake like hell.. I'm trying a stiff wire with a burr hook on the end coax it out. and i can fell it in there but it's lodged pretty tight. I could put a bit of cheese next to it over night and see if that works too.. friggin' rat

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Do you have one of those Dentist's probes of which your can bend the end to catch the remainder of the cable? FWIW I tried turning the car on its side but it didn't work half as well as removing the drive!

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry, correction, the drive gear in the transmission has 9 teeth.. the speedo drive it is mated that I need to has 25 teeth and will be marked 9/25 or have stamped symbols on the unit or the gear

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's been a while. I vaguely recall having to figure out how to extract the broken end, but I don't remember how I did it. I wonder if a small drill bit would catch hold?

Doug

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
No, remove the drive and bang it hard and the broken inner cable will eventually dislodge and come out. It has happened to me twice and this method has worked both times.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, remove the drive and bang it hard and the broken inner cable will eventually dislodge and come out. It has happened to me twice and this method has worked both times.
Stuart, while you were sleeping I did as you said and with some patience the mouse came to the hole. I was dreading draining the oil and a sealant (some assemblers love that goop) that would not budge it but I was lucky.. The oil level is almost below the driver, which I just realized staring at it and the driver popped right out. A wood pecker pecking on a brass plate freed it the loose impediment. Also discovered the spindle is bent. More to make right.

Thank you all for your help and support... and Stuart take a bow!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The method has worked three times now...well done! Its has to be standard workshop practice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts