Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2011, I had my GTV-6 converted to r-134 using a used Sanden SD 508 compressor. I had new lines installed, evaporator and condenser cores cleaned and checked, and a new drier installed. The car worked great for one and a half seasons. By 2013 the freon had escaped. In 2014 I had the system recharged. It worked fine for a couple of months. Finally, after putting up with two weeks of 90+ weather, I had the system checked. Turns out that the compressor has a leak which is not repairable locally.

I would like to have a new Sanden installed. I can't read all of the model information tag even using a mirror, bu t it does read Sanden SD 508. I read on another post that the correct model is a S9529. I have not been able to locate that model. Even Sanden does not list it on their web site. Just wondering if anyone had recently sourced a replacement compressor. If so, can you provide the model and supplier.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,
Bruce Sharer
Raleigh, Nc

·
Registered
254 Posts
Two years ago I had to replace compressors in both of my well-travelled (250K miles+ each) Volvo 240 wagons. I got them both on Flea Bay from a neat guy in Texas, and they came with kits including dryers and valves.

They are still functioning well, and I recommend this source; they have them for just about all models online.

Cheers from SoCal!

JB

·
Premium Member
26,730 Posts
Do you have a Milano or series 4 spider compressor conversion or pre 91 spider compressor?

I will send you some ebay links to both types. I know series 4 spider compressor with a clutch change to V-belts fits a Milano.

Notice in the ebay links the different heads where the hoses attach. Links I sent from ebay show one type that takes a flare nut hose fitting and other one takes a oring fitting type (the one listed for just milano).

This one takes orings under hose fittings: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-OEM-SANDEN-AC-A-C-COMPRESSOR-CLUTCH-FOR-ALFA-ROMEO-MILANO-/121573253359?hash=item1c4e54a0ef&vxp=mtr

this type has flare nut hoses: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-AC-A-C-COMPRESSOR-CLUTCH-FOR-ALFA-ROMEO-AMC-DODGE-AND-SAAB-/121670613707?hash=item1c54223acb&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Bruce, I'm curious over what you said about your compressor not being repairable locally. Is it the shaft seal that's leaking? That's not a big deal to a competent AC shop. Might be worth getting a quote, even if you have to ship it out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a mate who is an automotive engineer who has been responsible for the air con in at least two new production models here in Australia where air con REALLY matters. I have discussed the issue of aircon in old cars with him and his unequivocal opinion is that the old systems are heavy, inefficient and troublesome. He recommends some newer systems that are easily adapted, cheap to find used, MUCH lighter and more efficient. If you are interested enough I will seek his specific opinion for this case. I see this as similar to the 123distributor vs points, ballast resistor etc. I have just been through this learning curve and sometimes, if you actually want to use the car: Newer is better. 30 years ago there was no internet... times have moved on to our advantage.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
I'm not as concerned about the weight as I am about the capacity and efficiency. It just seem that the older systems are big enough.

·
Registered
133 Posts
HI Richard2,
I'm seeing this friend on Tuesday and will clarify the situation. From what I remember there are different types of compressors that work in a variety of ways. I will let you know as my impression was that the compressors were smaller, more efficient and more powerful. That may be like the choice between low cost, fuel efficiency and speed though: you can only have 2 of the 3.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've been able to get any and all ac parts on truckerac.com. You may have to do some searching but they have pictures of each compressor type. Then you you match up the end cap with the correct hose fitting type and the correct clutch. My gtv6 has a custom ac setup and I was able to find the correct clutch for my 164 3.0 conversion.

·
Registered
317 Posts
In 2011, I had my GTV-6 converted to r-134 using a used Sanden SD 508 compressor. I had new lines installed, evaporator and condenser cores cleaned and checked, and a new drier installed. The car worked great for one and a half seasons. By 2013 the freon had escaped. In 2014 I had the system recharged. It worked fine for a couple of months. Finally, after putting up with two weeks of 90+ weather, I had the system checked. Turns out that the compressor has a leak which is not repairable locally.

I would like to have a new Sanden installed. I can't read all of the model information tag even using a mirror, bu t it does read Sanden SD 508. I read on another post that the correct model is a S9529. I have not been able to locate that model. Even Sanden does not list it on their web site. Just wondering if anyone had recently sourced a replacement compressor. If so, can you provide the model and supplier.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,
Bruce Sharer
Raleigh, Nc
Vintage Air has Sanden replacements in all the various head configurations. They go around $200.00. Find them on the web and call them.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts