Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My wiper motor was not working and after removing it from the car I found that it was burned to a crisp? I brought to local shop to have rewired and he told me the news....all bad. So now I'm looking for a plan B. I've read that some folks have been switching the motors for other makes and models (BMW etc.). Does any one have any experience with that. Is there a north American model I might be able to use? That would keep the cost down. I ran into a guy at a local parts store who said he once used one from a cavalier form the early eighties. What do you folks think, can it be done. My car is a 69 spider.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
gbalfa:

There is a current thread discussing the same issue. See: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/180168-69-spider-wiper-motor.html#post1007015

I am skeptical that a BMW motor will fit an early Alfa, though I believe it would work on a post-1970 car (admittedly, I have no direct experience - just read about it here on the BB). Cavalier motors I know even less about - if they're made by Bosch and look like the model used on Alfas, then perhaps.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
Buy a used one, open it up and replace the grease and check that the brushes are OK and that the bearings are OK. It may then outlast your car. Alfa spider windshield motors are well made and should give no problems if they are used regularly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I found a great one at the junkyard for 60 bucks and the wipers work fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts