Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased a repro dash from CL, Classic, My Fiat, etc and can report on fit, finish, satisfaction, etc?
I've noted some don't have the throttle/choke cut out and per pics some include the glovebox door?
JustDashes turn around is presently 4 months, gulp, so looking at these reproductions.
My '74 presently has an old cap install which is curling and such.
Would really appreciate some editorial before jumping on one of these. Thanks for the info, Ken

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got one thru Vicks for my spider. Marked made in Germany so I suspect they're all from the same source. Fit was...ok. About 1/2" to 1" gap at the forward windshield edge but not noticeable unless you're looking for it. Otherwise good. Finish is nice but it's a hard plastic type of material. There are no pre-drilled holes so some "fitting" is necessary to mount everything. Think wood working vs metal working as the material is more wood like in character. Also note the glove box door is thicker than the original and the plastic inner cover didn't fit for me. But the inner surface is nicely finished so I went without. But for ~$500 it was well worth it for me.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
There is not a significant price differential between a refurbished and a reproduction dash. It comes down to fit/finish and availability. The quality of a refurbished dash is dependent upon the core and how much surface restructuring is required. Based on the restored GTVs that have been auctioned through BaT with refurbished dashes, the quality can vary quite a bit. Most notable is the rounding of the sharp contours around the dash vents and the top step change. If you’re expecting a refurbished dash to come back appearing factory new, don’t. If it were me, I’d lean towards a reproduction dash from my preferred vendor (I assume they are all ordering from the same source) and address any fit issues as part of the restoration assembly.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have one in my '73 from Classic Alfa. In general, it looks and fits good, though not a perfect replacement. It included the glove box door and has a cut-out for the throttle, though you have to take your existing bracket and carefully drill/rivet it on to the new dash. Thre may have been a few more parts that requirted riveting, i cant remember for certain. On whole, I am satisfied and it is good value for the price.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Has anyone purchased a repro dash from CL, Classic, My Fiat, etc and can report on fit, finish, satisfaction, etc?
I've noted some don't have the throttle/choke cut out and per pics some include the glovebox door?
JustDashes turn around is presently 4 months, gulp, so looking at these reproductions.
My '74 presently has an old cap install which is curling and such.
Would really appreciate some editorial before jumping on one of these. Thanks for the info, Ken
I had my dash redone by Just Dashes just prior to the appearance on the market of the reproduction dashes. I would recommend going with a new dash. Just Dashes isn't what it used to be. When I complained about the work they did on my restoration I did not get any offers to redo the dash which at $1200. was difficult to swallow.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What about covering it in leather or vinyl?
The 2000 GTV dash has some right angle folds that make it hard to follow with a semi-supple material such as leather. Some vinyls would work better, but you need reliable adhesion or the vinyl will pull off the inner fold. And it sees a lot of heat.

The 1750 GTV dash has a worse challenge: the two very curvy pods for the instruments. You need a very stretchy material if you are going to cover those pods with one piece. I've seen it done with joints, it can be pretty, but not original.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
There were posts about refurbishing a dash cover by shooting bed liner. That is economical. But you first have to fill and buff the crack areas, where the material tends to curl on each side of the crack. How stable will it be?

If it wasn't such a pain to remove and reinstall the dash board...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Roger that. Gonna have seams in either application. Just Dashes does great work, but the prices are absurd. I have a upholstery shop as part of my business, and I’ve been looking for a deal on an appropriately sized vacuum forming machine. They need some competition.
Yes, they do need some competition...but it isn't just getting the large vacuum forming machine. What also contributes to the overall look of the newly covered dash is how the cracked and filled foam is sanded. With my dash the sanding down of the material that was added to the old cracked dash was not taken to the same place as the original. What you end up with is the "puffy" look that so many of us have complained about in these past 3 years. It really boils down to the person in the shop in charge of this aspect of the restoration. They have to be a bit of a sculptor to get it right and at Just Dashes prices not getting it right is **** painful!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses. I've done some interior work on this car but am not tackling covering the dash. Interesting Just Dashes isn't the gold standard it once was. The turn around time is a killer at 4 months.

Looking at vendor pics, CL has additional holes/slots for the 4way flasher switch and Hazard light on the left side and the slot for the seat belt light on the right side. Can't see the underneath tripometer reset hole.

Mr Fiat, Classic, My Alfa Group and OKP are similar but less CL's additions.

WillWiser - Does the Classic example have the hard, shiny plastic look or the softer, satin, vinyl look? Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I bought a dash from My Alfa who for some reason I am under the impression is the source of all the repros. This was a few years back so thats not gospel. I decided to "back date" to the junior style and very pleased I did. Fit and finish is very nice. 750EU shipped (May 2017 purchase).

I started down the patch and respray route. Not only is this hard and filthy work, I am strongly strongly doubtful that even a professional would achieve results that would please the eye on an otherwise very nicely restored car. You are staring at it literally all day, in harsh sun, it has small features and ins and outs. John (long time Alfa owner now 911/924 owner) restored his 924 dash and did as good a job as a hobbiest can, it was a monumental undertaking. JohnJ's 87 924S Rehabilitation - Page 17 - Pelican Parts Forums

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Thank you for the recommendation, i have been trolling for the best quality dash for quite some time. Are you speaking of Bertelsbeck in Germany?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
The dash in my 71 GTV 1750 came from Bertelsbeck in Germany. It was purchased almost 6 years ago. Fit and finish was excellent then and still is now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, that Cruscotto one is interesting - has all the cutouts like the one at CL. I don't know them either but I'll check it out. Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
289 Posts
more of a soft matte finish, though i have not cleaned it yet. definitely not hard plastic look like the dash caps

1 - 20 of 23 Posts