Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone! My mechanic destroyed the nut (guess he doesn't know about penetrating oil) and I have no idea where I can get a replacement. Goes here...

If you have one laying around please PM me!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,110 Posts
If you can measure the diameter and pitch, McMaster has Grade 8 metric castle nuts that should work:

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
as well as belmetric.com

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Premium Member
14,783 Posts
I believe that they are M14 x 1.5.

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
a m14 x 1.5 nylock will work just fine

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Actually I had a nylock work loose on a rally ... double-nutted it and used a keyring instead of a split pin.

Having a modified trunnion with a Heim-joint may have been part of it.

Have gone back to the original castellated nut and split pin since. No problem since.

Alfa did know what they were doing at the time ...

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
was it new.. dry on the threads..i have heard of folks using locktite then screwing on a nylock.. did not work.. have had nylock on my spider for 10 years now..never a problem

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
what size heim joiunt did you use.. i am almost ready to put my panhard system on my car soon

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Brandnew nyloc with clean threads ...

Loosened after gravel transit and construction site with open rebar over bridge.

I think there is a reason that Alfa only went to nylocs on bolts with tapered seats, e.g. upper A-arm and tie and track rod ends which is the industry standard now. To my knowledge Alfa never went to a nyloc on the trunnion but always retained a castellated nut in that place.

Heim joint: I have to check the size ... Alan Ward did the conversion.

Enjoy your panhard rod set-up ... more important on a Spider than a Sedan due to the more steeply inclined roll-axis.

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
i rasied my front roll centre to 1.75 inch above the ground

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
The heim joint used on the GTA sliding block set up was slightly smaller than the stock locating pin that is spot welded to the differencial. One has to cut the weld, remove the pin and machine the correct diameter to suit the heim joint. This implies to me that the pin is not a suitable diameter as is. One could also sleeve the pin and use a larger heim joint.

I'll have a look and find the GTA pin diameter.

Ken

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
Kenda..o' wonderfull.. i think i will go to my back up plan.. a tourqe rod ( just like some g.m. ( camaro/ firebird ) set ups

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Brandnew nyloc with clean threads ...

Loosened after gravel transit and construction site with open rebar over bridge.

I think there is a reason that Alfa only went to nylocs on bolts with tapered seats, e.g. upper A-arm and tie and track rod ends which is the industry standard now. To my knowledge Alfa never went to a nyloc on the trunnion but always retained a castellated nut in that place.

Heim joint: I have to check the size ... Alan Ward did the conversion.

Enjoy your panhard rod set-up ... more important on a Spider than a Sedan due to the more steeply inclined roll-axis.
Just curious, how is the roll axis different on a Spider vs a Sedan? Suspension is the same on the sedan, right?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The inclination of roll axis being the line that connects the front and rear roll centres will have a different slope with all other things being equal. The longer the wheelbase the less steeply inlined it will be ...

I would go so far in saying that this significantly contributes to the fact that a Spider has more snap oversteer than a Berlina, with GT and Giulia Super falling in between.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
OK I had at look at the AD GTA Heim jointed strut and the Heim joints are 18 MM. both hole and threaded portion. Marked: UNIBALL SMG18 SWISS MADE. They were used with multiple purpose made 18 mm ID steel sleeves of various lengths (not 50 washers) so the strut could be lined up with the cross member.

see pdf link below for more than you ever wanted to know about UNIBALS

Ken

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
kengta.. was that over a machined stud? upper bolt?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I think we have sufficiently high jacked this thread. If you need more info, start a new thread or PM me with clear description of what you are doing.

Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts