Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a spare valve cover capscrew laying around? Its an M7 thread and I think by 70mm long --for 164? TIA

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
does anyone have a spare valve cover capscrew laying around? Its an M7 thread and I think by 70mm long --for 164? TIA
You need a 14419124 for a 24v which is longer than for a 12v engine 15247824.

According to Alfa parts CD it calls for 22 of them 14419124 on a 24v and they are listed as a M7x38

If M7x38 is correct match, test the short top bolt holding throttle body to intake and see if it is a match I may have a spare one of those.

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
Goats,

Did you try to match one of the M7 bolts for throttle body to a valve cover bolts?

As I said parts CD says bolts are 38mm grip length.

The throttle body M7 allen head bolts are 40mm aka 1 9/16" and 50mm aka 2" for a 12v engine. I have some of them both in 40 and 50mm.

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
You need a 14419124 for a 24v which is longer than for a 12v engine 15247824.

According to Alfa parts CD it calls for 22 of them 14419124 on a 24v and they are listed as a M7x38

If M7x38 is correct match, test the short top bolt holding throttle body to intake and see if it is a match I may have a spare one of those.
I'll see if I have one.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've also gotten weird metric stuff from Fastenal if you can't find the Alfa goods.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Steve new info

the thread length is 40 mm roughly, with the cap head OAL ~ 45mm M7

If you have a M7 x 40 I think that will work---- and the head size is 6mm IIRC on both the valve cover and the throttle body to plenum --If I need to shave a mm or 2 off thats no problem
PS throtlle body to plenum on 24V has two sizes, short and long ! I think they prob differ by 10mm, so I would guess that same 40 and 50 mm are used 24V
CONFIRMED - I just measured the OAL and thread lengths
24V has both 40 and 50 mm thread length

why oh why did alfa choose to use M7?

bob

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I just took a look a the parts manual and correct me if I am wrong, their are two different cap screw lengths on the valve cover?
14419124 / Screw [M7x38] - 22
14433121 / Screw [M6x18] - 04

Where does each go and why are their 22 of the M7x38
I am confused

I have an interest in this topic since my left hand [SN] valve cover top right cap screw does not tighten down too well.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't recall any M6's

in there-- The perimeter bolts I think are all m7x38 (or 40!!) on both the front and rear --

Multicam these bolts are torqued to something like 7 ft/lbs IIRC-- your threads may be stripped -- if its not leaking oil out I wouldn;t worry about it myself-- On my car the one holding the Oil dipstick mount is also a little loose -- but its not leaking so I just leave it alone-- I think the owner that had the car before me overtightened it. Someday maybe I have to helicoil it -- will wait until it starts to leak !(be easy to see on the front side)

anyone reading this thread, as the car gets older and heat cycles hot/cold, the AL threads holding intake runners, fuel rail, valve covers, etc will get more and more brittle. Using antiseize and a torque wrench will really help preserve the threads --so you spend less time helicoiling and more time driving! I am now using permatex high temp antiseize on all fasteners that mate steel to AL. WHether the antiseize helps is going to be TBD but unless its chemically reacting with the AL (which I can;t imagine) it should help down the road.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
goats

Thanks for the info on the torque.
The valve cover does not leak and I can get it just about tight. So, I will leave it at that.
Info on the anti-seize is good to know.

What's the follow up on the coil exchange?

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
the thread length is 40 mm roughly, with the cap head OAL ~ 45mm M7

If you have a M7 x 40 I think that will work---- and the head size is 6mm IIRC on both the valve cover and the throttle body to plenum --If I need to shave a mm or 2 off thats no problem
PS throtlle body to plenum on 24V has two sizes, short and long ! I think they prob differ by 10mm, so I would guess that same 40 and 50 mm are used 24V
CONFIRMED - I just measured the OAL and thread lengths
24V has both 40 and 50 mm thread length

why oh why did alfa choose to use M7?

bob
Mailed you a M7x40 allen head bolt today.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
steve O thank you!

andfor good measure, today I pulled out the old 'loss of reading' oil pressure sender and replaced it with the ALFAHILL version. One thing I dont like about the ALFAHILL version is its a taper fit thread (unlike the original) so I get antsy when I dont have a value to torque to. Taper threads like this tend to deform easily so I made it hand tight and then went about 3/4 turn after that with the 14mm wrench. OP gauge reading SHOT UP like a rocket to 55 at cold idle and now we are back in biznez.

Will be carefully watching the sender for leaks around the threads-- I did seal with teflon tape so fingers crossed.

ANother nagging issue for years that made the wife unhappy APPEARS fixed. (no, not the intermittent NO START). This was oil drips on the concrete driveway from the auto LS. I went to PIRTEK with my hoses and had them make me new ones (using the original fittings obviously). The charge for both was 75 clams. My buddy and great Alfa wrench put them on for me (he has a LIFT!) and so far so good! No drips, obvious leaks, etc -- so chalk one up to the good guys for a change and the ghost of 15-50 mess is perhaps held back at bay for a while!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts