Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone who owns a transmission support for a 1969 Spider or GTV be so kind as to measure the height and offset of the bolt hole?

When I shipped my Spider to New Zealand, it was damaged in the container and the insurance company's restoration shop lost the transmission support. I have since discovered that this was made for the 1969 Spider/GTV with floor mounted pedals only. So far I have not been able to locate a used part (I will be in California Dec 5 and hoped to bring one home with me). If anyone has one they would sell me, PLEASE send me a private message with the details.

Thus, my Plan B is to have a machine shop move the hole on the one the wrecking yard down here sent me. I found on this forum a photo of what I believe is the correct support, but I need to give the machine shop more accurate instructions than what I can determine from a photograph.

Below is the photo. Essentially, I need to know from a known position (I selected the inner part of the slot that bolts the support to the frame) how far offset is the brace hole (the horizontal plane) and then the vertical position as well.

Regarding the vertical, when I hold my support at eye level, it appears that the holt is about 3-5mm above the chassis plane. I am assuming that the bottom yolk of the transmission support is the same for both parts and all I will need to do is move the part that holds the transmission bolt. If this is incorrect, please advise me on that one as well.

This will be a difficult one. Hopefully some member of this BB has a 69 they are restoring and has the transmission support out of the car, on the bench where measuring (and photos would be appreciated) is easy.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi Kiwi I may be able to help you I have 2 supports in the shed .One is from a 69 GTV and the other is from an Australian delivered 75 spyder. I'll get back to you as soon as I can Cheers Mate

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kiwi I may be able to help you I have 2 supports in the shed .One is from a 69 GTV and the other is from an Australian delivered 75 spyder. I'll get back to you as soon as I can Cheers Mate
Thanks for that. The 69 should fit. If there is a part number stamped on it, it should read 105.57.51.016.00

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
If you end up having to fabricate a support, it's fairly straightforward.

Using the chassis drawing from this post, you can see that the support was moved rearward by 36.5 mm. Since the transmission is in the same location, you need to move the hole forward 36.5 mm to its original location.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brad, that gives me my plan B (fabricate) answer. On the Plan A (find a replacement) in looking at the chart you posted a while back it shows only one part number 105.57.51.016.00 for the 1969 Spider/GTV. Is this universal for all cars, or is this chart just for the US Spec?

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
On the Plan A (find a replacement) in looking at the chart you posted a while back it shows only one part number 105.57.51.016.00 for the 1969 Spider/GTV. Is this universal for all cars, or is this chart just for the US Spec?[/IMG]
I'm pretty sure it would have been for both USA and Euro spec Spiders and GTVs. I can't imagine they'd use different stampings just for the USA models.
Also, the USA parts chart shows part no. 105.57.51.016.00 for GTVs up to chassis number 1532000 and the Euro parts chart shows that same part number through 1375000.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I'm pretty sure it would have been for both USA and Euro spec Spiders and GTVs. I can't imagine they'd use different stampings just for the USA models.
Also, the USA parts chart shows part no. 105.57.51.016.00 for GTVs up to chassis number 1532000 and the Euro parts chart shows that same part number through 1375000.
Hello, as far as I know this is correct, that all 1969 105 chassis had the same rearward positioned chassis trans mount. That rearward location necessitated the special, 1 year only, rear trans bracket. This was to allow clearance for the longer dual under floor brake master cylinder on the USA models. Even though the rest of the world used the single stage cylinder they all got the rearward position and the special bracket.

A search of this bb will turn up more on this subject.

Good Luck finding the bracket. Try Larry at Alfa PArts Exchange (APE) in Calif.

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
747 Posts
sorry

Hi mate got both brackets out and took some pics but I'm unable to help.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts