Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to get whatever this deal is with my 164 resolved. Could really use some help from someone who knows these cars better then I do. If you're in N. FL. And willing to lend a hand please let me know.

·
Premium Member
9,777 Posts
Do you have more information on the deal with it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 164 was running well but had oil leaks and needed a timing belt. Replaced timing belt, valve cover gaskets, intake runner gaskets, cam seals, hoses and did much needed cleaning. Reassembled and it would not start. The timing is correct, checked out the CPS which checked ok with my meter. Jumped the relay for the fuel pump and the system operates properly with good fuel pressure. I put a 194 bulb in one of the injector harness plugs and watched it flash as I turn the engine over. Temperature sensor plug has been replaced also. The car will start with a shot of starting fluid but will not run on its own. Ready to get it running so it can go for paint.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
When you removed the timing belt cover there is a connector by the rear camshaft for the crank position sensor. I always find it easier to disconnect this to get it out of the way. Is it possible you forgot to reconnect it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is connected. The plastic plug deteriorated and I referenced Steve to know the correct location of the pins.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes both ground are clean and tight and the plenum bolts directly to the valve cover with no insulators.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
There are no trouble codes either.
Even though you got flashing light with 194 bulb test, try test B to see if all the injectors will click on/off and you get 1411 code flashing. Alfa 164 Motronic Self-Diagnosis

1-4-1-1
Electro-injectors actuation test activated: continuous control at the frequency of 10 Hz.

Did you leave fuel pump relay jumpered when you tried to start car and did you have 40 psi fuel pressure?

I guess if it will try to start with starting fluid you must have ignition but have you hooked inductive timing light to coil wire and a plug wire to see if you get strong flashings from coil wire and plug wires?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can activate test B but don't hear injectors or see flash, but I get the correct light sequence code. I do however get pulse from each injector just spinning the motor over. It has good ignition on coil and plug wires with the timing light.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have tried jumping the fuel pump relay while starting it and still no start.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
I can activate test B but don't hear injectors or see flash, but I get the correct light sequence code. I do however get pulse from each injector just spinning the motor over. It has good ignition on coil and plug wires with the timing light.
I have tried jumping the fuel pump relay while starting it and still no start.
I am at a loss to advise you of what to do next but maybe the three pin connector to crank position RPM/Timing sensor at the front crank even though you repaired it is stopping correct sine wave signal to computer but what do I know?

I really don't know what to tell you but "Dwight's rule is, "It's the ground!" Now what ground it might be I don't know.

Another suggestion is to try plugging in a spare coolant temp sensor to the bosch connector going to CTS in mid thermo housing. It does not have to be in housing just plug it into connector and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Steve, I remember you talking once about the soldering where all the injector wires connect and you said you had a bad soldering. Could this be an issue?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll try anything at this point. I actually considered ordering a crank sensor temp sensor and ecm.....I'm that frustrated.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Let's think back to when it ran and then you did timing belt, yada yada, etc,... and then no start and crank timing sensor wiring connector crumbled. Am I right in this?

Maybe something amoke with sensor connector repair? Is the chassis end of connector intact or did it crumble, too?

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
back to basics first. Fuel air spark. When you jumper the fuel pump relay, whats your fuel pressure on the fuel rail with and without engine cranking?

Second is spark. What kind of 164 is this, year and model? If 12V there are a lot of distributor/coil/wires issues. There is also the question of crank sensor, previously alluded to.

Finally air. Are you trying to start the car on the moon? It wont run there. No air. :)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Steve's on to something. I just keep going to the crank sensor. Can one be swapped out with a good one to check this out. So the bad connection at the solder joint for the fuel injectors wouldn't be it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a 91 164L. I'm going to see if I can get a crank sensor locally. Maybe there's a break in the wire and when I move them to test, it connects...I removed the sensor from the engine and cleaned the sludge off of it when I replaced the seals.

It doesn't appear to be a spark related issue since it runs on ether.

Haha. Sometimes the moon would be a good place for this one :)....it has air. It has spark. Just not getting fuel to cylinders.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
And you have had a pressure gauge teed into fuel pressure line at front of engine and gotten 40 psi of fuel pressure and proper fuel flow out of return line out of fuel pressure regulator?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts