Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been gathering up parts for my 72 GTV 2L SPICA conversion of the last few weeks. The photo below shows what much of what I've got. Also have but not shown is a new Euro gas tank and sending unit with supply at top.

Can anyone let me know what parts I still need to acquire for the change over?
I also have a 1.3L 1972 Giulia Super (with dual Solex) that I can use for some parts as I am taking the car apart to restore. Anyone know if the air-box is usable on the webber 2L setup? How about the linkage?

I'm hoping to drive the GTV to Michigan for the convention so help ASAP would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Spica pump block off plate & gasket (IAP), pressure regulator, low pressure fuel pump, euro hose between the water pump and intake below the thermostat. If the 1300 air box is the cylindrical type it should work but the support strut for the plenum will be too short. Do you have the under-drive pedal linkage that goes with that bellcrank? That's all that comes to mind at first glance. Good luck.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Oh, it's also a good idea to replace the top studs (in the block) for the intake manifold with shorter ones. The longer studs used with the Spica manifold will interfere slightly with the rubber carb mounts. I didn't realize this until it was too late on my conversion but I'll definately do it my next time around.

Bill

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bill,
Where can I find an "under-drive pedal"? I guess that is the Euro version of the gas pedal linkage that turns the "pull" motion to a "push" for the carb linkage.
Anyone have a source or the part for sale?

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Thanks Bill,
Where can I find an "under-drive pedal"?
Well, your '72 Super probably has one. But if you don't want to keep cannabalizing that poor project car you can use a pedal assembly from an '80's Bosch injected Spider or a pre-'69 105 series sedan, spider or coupe. If you don't find one locally I think I have a spare that I would sell for $38. They also show up on ebay. Just make sure you know what you're getting - Spica pedal rods are abundant and basically worthless.

Bill

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna call APE tomorrow to see if he's got any pedal setups from a carb car... or a Bosh Spider. I've been looking on Ebay for a while now and only see the Spica set-ups. I'm going to Holland at the end of August so I can bring home a replacement for my Super if I decide to take it from that car... but that is a last resort as I'm having WAY too much fun driving that car.
I'll PM you if I'm unable to locate one. You don't have an air-box do you?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
13,487 Posts
You don't need a Spica blank off plate if you tap the oil feed hole and block it with a short bolt and a copper washer.

Be careful if you buy the bypass hose from a European source as the SPICA and Euro cars have different water pump connections.

Swapping out gas pedals with the engine in the car is a bit of an adventure. Be prepared for a bit of frustration as you jiggle and force them out and in.

Ed Prytherch
74 GTV
79 Spider
88 Verde

1 - 8 of 8 Posts