Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at the pep boys auto store, they now see led lights that willl fit the mirror amp light, and also hood( motor bay) , and trunk lights... they should last longer , not as brittle to shock of closing the hood or trunk.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,087 Posts
Interesting...got a picture? I think those are the same bulb in the S4 kick panel lights as well - it would be nice to have a brighter, cooler alternative for that location.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,087 Posts
So the ones at Pep Boys were just red and blue, but I found a good source for white LED lamps:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/festoon.html

The 37x10 3 LED lamps are a drop-in for the Spider kick panel lights. They're pretty nice: they seem as bright as the incandescents, they run much cooler, and they draw a LOT less power (measured 58 mA for the LEDs vs. 680 mA for the original bulbs!)

As I've drained my battery at least twice by not closing the door all the way, this should help. I also don't like how hot the original lamps got the housings when they were on for a while. Downside is that the LEDs are $8 each, but they should last darned near forever.

The LED is the lower one in both pics (I stuck it in my Milano to compare directly). Unlike the incandescent the light is directional, so while the LED seems to throw less light onto the reflector it's just as bright in the car. It's a cooler white than the originals but it's not as blue as it looks in the photo.

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,087 Posts
Well, these just paid for themselves this morning. I accidentally left the door cracked open for a week on the Spider with the lights on the whole time. Last time I did this the battery was completely flat, but she started right up today with no issues. Go technology! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts