Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Redoing front suspension. Thought is check behind the rear splash guard in the front wheel arch. There is a box like structure rusted out on one side. Is this structural? I'm tempted to rust treat and leave alone rather than getting into welding here.
Pics to follow. The passenger side is the rotted one.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
They are the ends of the sill panels. Very structural! Poke around in there and you will be sure to find more rust than you can see.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense. Thanks for the response. Now the next question is will I be ok to continue driving or should I tear off the fender to look more closely and repair as necessary? Is there a way of assessing structure without cutting out the fender?
Thanks again
Mike

·
Registered
180 Posts
The only way to check the structure properly would be to remove the front and rear fender lower sections that cover the ends of the sills. Be prepared to replace those lower fender sections, the outer sill panel and possibly replace sill centre section or at least repair. Fairly big job, sorry. Do the doors shut correctly? Not catching on the latch, do you have to slam them shut? What are the shut lines like, i.e. the gap between the doors and surrounding panels when closed?
Any loss of structural integrity on a spider chassis, the sills, will eventually show up by the body sagging in the middle, and putting doors out of alignment.
You could take a drive to Tacoma and see Daron at Vintage Customs for an honest assessment. I wouldn't be trusting this with someone unfamiliar with the model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts