Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Excellent, I'm glad to hear you have an alternative.... And such a beautiful one!

I was planning to take mine (as a spectator) but I suspect I shall be trying to fix it instead, just hope I can get it done for the Le Mans Classic.

See you at the Kop Hill Climb?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok and to conclude this thread . I made it Kop Hill in the 1750 and had a great day They gave me run number 666 and a requested to dress in period costume . So I fitted a pair of red horns

Brakes were sorted due to two reasons

1. Brake calipers fitted up side down - bleed nipples need to be at top so all air comes out.

2. Brake system was full of something called RBF - Racing brake fluid ? This does not mix with DOT4 - so system was bled through with DOT4

Photo from 2017 attached - still waiting on photo with horns!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Well installing brake calipers upside down won't happen again ... >:) :D

Best
Pete

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nasrt again

Well car stored for around 5 months over the winter

Set off for a short run and the nearside brake locked on, as before. This is with new brake calipers . The brake pedal was rock hard. After a rest watching the smoke coming off the brake pads . Pressed hard on the pedal a couple of times and it released. Then felt normal and brakes worked again. Drove 4 miles home without touching the brakes , which was interesting.

Any ideas - other than drive it more?

I am going to change the race brake pads to a std set to see if this is the issue

If not then its strip out and replace all brake lines , as maybe something is stuck in there and acting as a non- return valve.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Brakes fixed - best Kop Hill run yet 2019

Thanks for all the advice the brake problem is fixed.

Pretty sure the problem was at tight or dragging brake push rod.

I didn't find it till I had fitted a new master cylinder. When I then tried to fit to refit the push rod it was tight , so I adjusted it so it was sloppy lose and all is now fine. I don't know it was the old master cylinder with a sticking piston or a tight push rod .

I also fitted new brake pads but the brakes, non servo, are a still a bit hard and wooden. Because of all the heat I think the brake discs are irreparably glazed and will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No problem will send a pm . Are you doing the Italian car track day on the on 19th October. Or Italian night at the Ace Cafe 2nd Thursday in the month that I make that10th of October

21 - 30 of 30 Posts