Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the NASCAR race this past weekend at CA Speedway (thanks Richard!) and it was sooooo much fun. I watch it on tv but have never been. I WILL be going back for sure and maybe some other tracks this year too. All of you people who don't like NASCAR, go to a race, you will change your mind. I liked it now, I love it! I'll post some pics later on.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
ehhh emmm!

I think someone here need's to go join the NASCARBB.com

I alway's wondered if Nascar drivers and fans look forward for the next race at the different race track, with 4 turns. :p :p :p :D (sorry, I thought it was funny)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not much into Nascar anymore, all I watch is F1 now, Cart seems to have takin a crap so I don't watch it anymore either.

Been to 1 Nascar race, it was cool (because it was free)

I do like to watch the superspeedway races though.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Mike
Same here i only watch Formula 1, and Moto GP bike racing. I don't like Nascar for 3 reasons. One that crap is on Every freakin single day everytime i turn on speed channel. Two it is real boring watching cars go in circles for 2 hours. Three it really sucks that they are limited to 500hp espically with Ford, Chevy, and Pontiac engines.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Nascar??? !!!

I will have to agree with Anthony on this one. NASCAR is really a GREAT show! Nose to tail racing for 150 laps or so....where else can you see that? In a Speedway like California is lap afetr lap of fun!
F1 until this year became a little less boring.
CART is good, but I think it has forgotten a little bit of the US fans, they need to do something about that.
F3, F3000, Open Telefonica and the rest are just too far away and we don't know any of the drivers.
Almost forgot Rally Championship; What a show! To see the inside cameras and the way the "play" with the steering wheel and levels is just AMAZING!!!

Then there is Vintage racing wich I will get to see this June at the California Speedway, see you all there!!!!

Regards,

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ya I also went to the Nascar race this weekend and I thought it was pretty cool. I've watched some Nascar on TV and thought it was alright but my opinion changed a lot about it after seeing it in person. Regardless, Formula 1, the BFG Goodrich Trans Am series, and the 2.5 Challenge are the most entertaining racing around. Ya it was neat to see guys doing 190 mph nose to tail for 500 miles, but there's nothing like seeing a guy outbreak another and dive inside of him.

·
Registered
167 Posts
One thing that has to be said is that you really can't compare Road Racing (my favorite) with Oval Racing. Oval Racing is about bumping and grinding at high speed with little amounts of brakes(if any) and to win you need car setup and strategy. In Road Racing it is DRIVER SKILL and very little car setup or strategy in order to win a race. Another thing that has to be said is that at a Nascar race 1/2 of the entertainment is the race, the other half is listening in on the communications of the team radio.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The seats could not have been any better...up high (we could see the whole track) and center with the start/finish line. The hot pit passes were also a plus. They let me get up close with all the cars and equipment.

Cool thing was they had free gatorade in the pits...at least i think it was free. Richard and I drank so much of it. I hope it was not suppoed to be for the pit crew!?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Nice Anthony! While I may not watch much nascar on tv, I'd dig going to a race. I'd go to just about any kind of race. But not those barstool races. :) Anyone ever go to a nhra event? I went as a kid and would love to go again. I hear the nitro buzz is pretty cool near the starting line. I'd love to check out rally racing, a pike's peak challenge and the festival at goodwood.

I agree with the coments on cart and I feel it's going downhill. Perhaps Bernie Eclestone will have something to say about that. blyeck.

The irl has picked up in popularity. With both the fans and the manufacturers. Since I was such a cart fan, it's taken me a long time to warm up the irl. Kashmir digs it already.

I heard a news report about a pit crew that was missing like three gallons of gaterade.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
italcarguy said:
I went to the NASCAR race this past weekend at CA Speedway (thanks Richard!) and it was sooooo much fun. I watch it on tv but have never been. I WILL be going back for sure and maybe some other tracks this year too. All of you people who don't like NASCAR, go to a race, you will change your mind. I liked it now, I love it! I'll post some pics later on.
i have never liked racing for a few reasons. one is that i find the constant talking extremely annoying, the sound from the cars drives me straight up a wall and it goes on and on and on. i mean, can't they make the track shorter or something??

my husband is a serious nascar fan and has been trying so hard to get me interested in it. i feel so bad that we can't both enjoy it together. i even sat and watched one once with him, but nothing. i just don't get what all the excitement is about. a bunch of noisy cars going round and round for hours....as far as i am concerned it ranks right up there with golf....boring. and at least golf isn't loud.

i guess the reason i came here in the first place was because i was actually doing a search for how to get a woman interested in racing and came up with nothing. it wasn't until i typed in "people who don't like nascar" that i found this site. i want to understand it so bad. i want to be excited about it like other women, but i am getting nowhere.

if anyone here has any ideas on how to make me see it for something more exciting and less annoying than i see it, please help me out. my husband will be extremely thankful. :)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
No offense to anyone that likes NASCAR, but it doesn't do it for me. I like to watch racing on tracks that have hairpins, chicanes, changes in elevation, and yes, even right-hand turns. I like the ETCC (now the WTCC), too, because the races are long enough to be interesting but short enough that the drivers aren't holding back on what they have for 100 laps, and they can complete two races in an afternoon. Plus I get to see Alfas racing. The grand prix type races on closed-off city streets are fun to watch, too, but I really like the touring cars.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
For me any racing is fun and I just like it. But when you are cheering for someone in particular then it becomes another thing. That is when you start to follow it much more closer and get interested in it.

I have heard (and seen) lots of women cheer for "handsome" drivers.........I guess that couls be a start........

Good luck,

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
MotoGP -- very exciting. it's the Formula 1 of motorcycle road racing only more exciting. There is more passing and Valentino Rossi seems to invent new racing lines every race.

World Superbike -- it took a dump when the rules mandated one tire brand and Ducati was the only competitive marque. This year looks to be the start of a big turnaround as Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc. are back in the fold. Yesterday, Suzuki won back-to-back races which is a first for them.

AMA Superbike/Superstock/Supersport/Formula Extreme -- see it live locally!! These races are often fiercely competitive, but have a slightly less refined way about them. In other words, they can be very exciting to watch!

NASCAR -- I watched the Daytona 500 last weekend. First NASCAR race I watched in years. I have to agree with Italcarguy -- it was exciting. It's a 180mph traffic jam. The techniques and strategies are unlike other forms of road racing, but just as exciting. And those couple of NASCAR road races are pretty cool, too. It's like watching pro football players (US football) trying to do figure skating. Well, bad analogy, but hopefully you get my point.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
The good thing about oval track racing is that you can see the whole track. If there is a tight race, you can follow it. This has a lot of advantages if you are actually going to attend the race. Television makes this a non-issue if you are sitting on your couch. Modern road racing coverage is pretty incredible. The only problem arises when the race for position you want to watch isn't the one they are showing!

With all that said, I'll take road racing any time. When I was a kid, we had a bumper sticker on our tow vehicle that said "Real Race Cars Turn Right."

Erik

1 - 20 of 39 Posts