Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Steve,

I agree with you, the original steering wheel on your Aurelia is a beautiful wheel. If I had an Aurelia I wouldn't even think of changing it. I am very familiar with the Aurelia wheel and Lancia made a good decision to have one made that so well fits the car, like every other detail on a B24.

I was attempting to comment on the difficulty people have in sorting out what is a true Nardi, it's confusing business with all that's gone on since the late '60's. The wheel on your Aurelia (from the mid-'50's), and a few of very good wheels from other manufacturers of the time are not what I was talking about. But if in my attempt to contribute to clarity I threw too wide a net, it was unintended.

Looks good on a B20!

Dan
Absolutely magnificent! 4th series?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Gentlemen,
Thank you for you insights (and for confirming my bias!).

I do share the frustration of reading and hearing incorrect attributions that not only perpetuate false histories, but also detract from those deserving credit.

The B20 is an earlier 4S, with clap-hands needles in the instruments.
-Steve

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Thank you Elsonite.Dan
"Attached are pics of two real Nardi. Left, from 1953, 420 mm (sometimes this number varied by a few mm), notice the chrome hub. Right from 1965, 410 mm (again, can vary some), aluminum hub. No script on the earlier one but a ND stamp on the back. A year stamp on the '65.

I could go on about Nardi wheels and the nuances, (wood used, hub sizes and shape, assembly features...). Mercifully I will stop here. "
The signature-mark-.stamp on the back, i think it was a legal demand from authorities, just to identifies parts. The stated year begins probably together with the signature

I would say please do, continue about used wood wheels.
But you are stating the general opinion i have.That the signature is of new date. And as i think, its not on OEM parts, only on aftermarkets.
But i can be compleately wrong

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi!

I´m posting this in a sleeping thread, hoping to shed some light on a Nardi steering wheel. Ex Alfa-owner, now sadly without Italian transportation means whatsoever...

I have a Nardi steering wheel, stamped 66. I believe it to be for an Alfa, but it has been installed in a...... Renault, previously. The inside diameter of the hub (where it meets the steering rack) is 21, maybe 22 mm. Reading your thread here, it seems Alfa has a 20 mm diameter. I can´t really determine if the hub has been messed with when going on the Renault, or if it is a correct diameter for some model of Alfa or.... well, it seems like the guys with the knowledge to solve this is on this forum. Anyone on board here that can help me out? I was hoping to post pics, but I´m blocked, since I´m a newbie, can´t provide links either.

So, in short, could a 22 mm hub be correct for an Alfa?

I need to make ten posts, before I can attach pics to the thread, so let´s keep this thread alive. I will throw in a few extras of my ex 2005 Alfa GT once I´m approved :)

Regards

Stefan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Or to look at the steering wheel (please tell me I´m not violating any forum rules now), you can open photobucket in your browser and look for alias MG1300MkII. There you will find pics of both the steering wheel and the Alfa GT :)

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Or to look at the steering wheel (please tell me I´m not violating any forum rules now), you can open photobucket in your browser and look for alias MG1300MkII. There you will find pics of both the steering wheel and the Alfa GT :)
The Photobucket pictures can be found here. It could be a 102/06 Nardi wheel, if so, possibly with a molested center hub. Unfortunately, IMG_0281 isn't quite clear enough to tell whether (a) there are remnants of the groove for the spline (woodruff key) on the shaft, and (b) whether that groove would be slightly off-center of the twelve O'clock position.

As for the hole diameter, on Alfas they would be conical (wider at the shaft, narrower at the horn button side). If it's cylindrical, it's not Alfa or was modified.

Other things worth knowing are the overall diameter of the wheel (is it 420 mm ?) and the diameter of the cavity where the horn button goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have added two more pics of the hub, hopefully they will be of better quality. The pics are in the photobucket link refered to in the previous post. The inside diameter is definitely 22 mm and it´s not tapered, it measures 22mm all the way through. Would that make it a non-Alfa wheel? Outside diameter is 400 mm, approx 15 and 3/4". Recess, rim to boss, is 40 mm, just over 1 and 1/2". The recess is measured to the highest part of the boss.

It seems like the slot for the woodruff key is in the 12 o´clock position, but there are signs of marks in the slot, it´s a little widened just at the opening, frontside, then the rest of the slot seems fine. As mentioned, it came off an old Renault, so someone was forced to be innovative to make it fit back then, I guess. Fooled me, though, I bought it thinking it might fit an old Alpine (Renault running gear) I have. Now fitted with a very seventish minimal leather steering wheel, so I was hoping to replace it with this one.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
The additional pictures give me the impression that the center hole has been modified by an amateur -- and there is not enough material left to give the wheel the stability it needs. For comparison, the picture below shows the backside of an original 2600 Nardi wheel.

Alfamichele has made new 102/106 hubs from billet stock (see here). maybe this would be an option for your Alpine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spot on! When looking at your unmolested example and comparing it with mine, I would say that someone has increased the diameter of the hole from 20 to 22 mm to make the wheel fit a lesser car than the Alfa it was intended for. Could it be that Nardi offered a wheel with a 22mm hole? The modification on mine, the increasing of the diameter, would have passed my eye as original, wasn´t it fot the very thin material left for the woodruff key at the back of the boss. Which suports your info, that it was a 20mm tapered boss from the beginning. Now it´s been widened to 22 with no taper.

Well, dark, cold winter about to come, great opportunity for some machining :)

Thank you for solving this :)

Regards

Stefan

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
thanks for you input.
Its a bit of a jungle, as there is so many different Nardis wheels, on the aftermarket and was used in connection with costumersation of the cars. Also back then.
Correct me if I am wrong.The Nardis that was used as standard mounting at the factory,back then, probably didn't have the the Enrico Nardi script on the on the right arm on the wheel.

No you're wrong. All original Nardi's were signed (except for the very early ones with rivetted rim) with E. Nardi and some with round holes are signed Nardisport in his handwriting. The wooden lookalike steering wheels that are often regarded as being Nardi steering wheels, are made by Pagliani & Provenzale. The black ebony insert is a typical Nardi feature and sometimes even "incorporated" when a Pagliani & Provenzale steering wheel is wrongly "restored".

It's this company that made the wooden steering wheels found on many Italian upmarket cars. They also produced steering wheels with black plastic rims as OEM fitted on Alfa, Abarth, Fiat etc.

Enrico Nardi passed away in 1968. His company was ran a few years by Mr. Barbero until he sold it to PERSONAL. This enabled PERSONAL to use the name NARDI on their own steering wheels which had nothing in common with the original product. The same happened to Lancia in the same period. Fiat bought the ailing Lancia company which enabled Fiat to sell their cars with an "upmarket" Lancia label! It was an early form of badge engineering!:mad: All the "fine aspects" that made these brands a superior product were removed and replaced by cheap solutions. The quality went away, the name stayed! Since original Nardi's are so expensive, some see an opportunity to sell modified Moto Litas or whatever. I'm sorry to say the first pic in this thread is such a horror.

The "PERSONAL" nardi's are easily recognisable with their fatter smaller diameter rim and the removable black wrinkle finished hub. Most of the original Nardi's have a diameter of 42 mm and a fixed polished hub made in duralumin. When many "copies" start to show up, Nardi stamped his signature on all his steering wheels to "prevent our customers from cheap and dangerous copies"... how ironic is that, now his sinature is stamped on crap wheels :eek:!!! The reason NARDI steering wheels became popular is not only due to the beautiful classic design, but also to a lesser known feature. Original Nardi steering wheels (pre 1970) underwent a "secret procedure" that allow them to bent like a snake instead from breaking, hence no dangerous splinters in case of an accident :rolleyes:!

PERSONAL Nardi's (with a separate boss or hub) are not valuable. They can be found very cheaply on EBAY even if some "Evilbayers" try to sell them for big money pretending they're "special", which they are not! Some 20 years ago PERSONAL made the "Anni 60" and "Anni 50" steering wheels. They have thin rim but are too small in diameter to fit 60's cars. The anni 60 has guilloché arms like the Ferrari's of the 60's and the anni 50 has plain chromed arms with a "lookalike" E. Nardi signature. Finally they started with the replica line, which is perfect! They're very expensive, but original Nardi weren't cheap either!

My father knew Enrico well and I have his correspondence between him and Enrico that cover a decade. Each letter is of course about cars, steering wheels and tuning. Below a picture of the Nardi given to my father as a gift from Enrico. I still have the cardboard box and I love the "blue" horn button which is very rare. I still have a silk scarf he gave to my mother, an ashtray in the form of a steering wheel and several lapel pins etc!:)

Thankyou

Attachments

61 - 70 of 70 Posts