Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've fitted a nardi wheel (wheel and hub) from Classic Alfa. After a few rounds and some soldering, I thought I had this solved. Originally the horn wouldnt work, then randomly triggered at 2AM until I came and pulled the battery.

The hot wire had come off the brass plate at the bottom, which mates to the steering column. That plate carries hot up the wire, and when you press the button, it triggers the horn.
Works fine, or so I thought.

I came off the freeway, made a right turn, and the horn was constantly sounding. Came up the hill, right onto my street, same thing.
I pulled the horn button and left it off for the time being.

Next drive, same thing happened, even without the button.

Wondering if I need a different hub adapter as I've had no end of issues with this one. Recommendations welcome. Crowders?

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
918 Posts
The horn is a,very simple circuit, you are just completing a ground when you push the horn. Seems you probably have something during installation that is intermittently completing the circuit.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
918 Posts
I dont think anyone can help more than that, just look for things grounding out that aren't supposed to be....

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
918 Posts
Oh. Sorry, cant help you there!

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
There are a ton of folks that have made this modification. I have the Nardi hub adapter from Classic Alfa, although I don't have a Nardi wheel. The lack of feedback probably indicates that other folks haven't had the same issue. Have you confirmed with a multimeter the proper functioning of the horn button itself?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I’m kinda with sloboy, I doubt it’s a fault with the hub or wheel, but here’s a couple of thoughts:
  • horn sounding on turning a corner points to a worn/bared wire earthing itself with the movement. You’ve already figured this, but do you know the wire hasn’t rubbed thru anywhere?
  • one recent poster fixed his problem by loosening the steering column mount under the dash, and moving the column up or down (can’t remember which) coz components were being ‘squeezed’ setting the horn off. There’s a little slack available there on models with the later u-jointed shafts IIRC, perhaps try a central, unloaded position.
Random blowing at 2am Is different. Do you have horn relay in your fuse box? Maybe switch the relay for another known good one of the same type and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a relay, I don't think thats the issue. Definitely a fault with the hub. When I got it, the hot wire was not attached to the brass ring that makes contact with the hot point in the column. So I soldered that on. Maybe its making contact or something. At this point, I'm sick of dealing with it, so I'm just going to replace it. I'm not buying it from Classic Alfa again, so what's the next best option? Crowders?

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Centerline

edit: nevemind - just saw you have a '91. Ditched the airbag, eh? Don't know anything about that adapter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For whatever it's worth -- I replaced the airbag wheel with a Nardi ~6 months ago. Centerline didn't carry S4 hubs (due to litigation fears I expect). I ordered a collapsible hub from Crowders, but they didn't actually have any so they sent a solid one -- which was returned. I ended up with the hub from Classic Alfa and it worked fine. The horn switch looked pretty basic. So I figured it either wasn't going to work, or beep with any significant bump I hit -- but neither case has occurred.

Kurt

·
Registered
754 Posts
Still hoping for a reply here as well.
. when i worked for alfa romeo ( alfetta motors in vallego ca ). had this happened to a few of our customers. so this is my fix.. get about 3 feet of clear vinel hose from a hardware store, remove the horn button. and slip the vinel hose over the horn wire, and keep stuffing it in untill you see come out of the steering box in the ebgine bay let 3/4 inches gome out of the steering box, trim to fit just behind the horn button. this might work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts