Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, exactly

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Hmmmmm.....
Vignale body, Fiat 600 chassis, (some) Abarth bits.....

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
That car covers every corner of cool...who's German is good (Mbaum?) - would also like to know more about these.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
VIGNALE.jpg

Vignale Built on Michelotti design (mind you "Goccia" prototype, 1956), about 50 Abarth made starting from 1957, one of those raced at 1957 Mille Miglia.
The total production (including the non-Abarth) should be 115, many of which tuned by Stanguellini.
More information could be retrieved from Fornai book.

p.s. the cars were not delivered with the mouse pointer painted on the front hood

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
That car covers every corner of cool...who's German is good (Mbaum?) - would also like to know more about these.
Try this:

"Enrico Nardi is best known for its high-quality steering wheels. Less well known is that in the '50s & '60s he played an important role in the Italian racing tuners and accessories manufacturers for racing and sports cars competition. In 1956 (one year before his Abarth "Goccia" 750 premiered) he brought out his 750 Vignale Coupe Nardi, which was based on the Fiat 600 chassis. The car had a bored and tuned engine, and the bodies were built by Vignale to a design by Michelotti. A total of nearly 50 of these exceptional coupes were produced within three years, of which some examples were raced by Nardi, including the 1957 Mille Miglia.

"This Nardi coupe was restored in Germany in the '90, with extensive work on the body shell. The work is documented through photographs and invoices. A rare original brochure is available. Due to its rarity, the vehicle is a ticket to many high profile events."

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Thanks Ed! I'm really starting to appreciate Vignale designs. Usually never caught my eye - but these days: I'm liking the details.

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Thanks for the translation, Ed. I didn't know you speak German too and couldn't have done it any better.

Interesting how the Thiesen car looks different from the period picture (and I'm not talking about the mouse pointer but the covered headlights, trim on the hood, front windshield and roof line, as well as the taillights and trim around there).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Thanks for the translation, Ed. I didn't know you speak German too and couldn't have done it any better.

Ruedi,

I don't, but with a little help I can sometimes fake it. Of course if I'd thought about it, I would have left it for you, as I have no doubt you'd have done better. Anyway, thanks for those great pics; they really are wild little cars.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Interesting how the Thiesen car looks different from the period picture (and I'm not talking about the mouse pointer but the covered headlights, trim on the hood, front windshield and roof line, as well as the taillights and trim around there).
I'm not surpised by differences, at the time coachbuilders where so "creative" that even what should have been "series" cars where diffent each other.
The badge on the front of the car in the old photo is the Michelotti/Vignale double flag, my Italia has it too:

So i suppose that the period photo portraits a Michelotti-Vignale "proposal" for a larger series.

Anyway, this should be one of the first "Goccia" (drop) shaped cars:

It seems built upside-down. Very curious shape, even if not as much happy...

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts

"This Nardi coupe was restored in Germany in the '90, with extensive work on the body shell..."
Well, but next time take better care to that driver side door. It fits in the body as my feet do in my girlfriend's heels shoes....

update: here there is another variation of the same theme:

Automobili - FIAT NARDI 750 VIGNALE :: Ausonia Schio - Mercatino dell'auto d'epoca e della moto d'epoca ::

Some dog-bodyworker modified (i bet in 80's) the front end of the car. 40k is way beyond the fair value of this car. IMO.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Thanks Ed! I'm really starting to appreciate Vignale designs. Usually never caught my eye - but these days: I'm liking the details.
Many Vignale designs were a bit ornate, heavy on details and chrome, but my favorite car is a Vignale bodied Fiat 8V.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Many Vignale designs were a bit ornate, heavy on details and chrome, but my favorite car is a Vignale bodied Fiat 8V.
Completely agree - which is why I never cared for most of the designs I've seen - but every once in awhile, it comes together, even if not classically beautiful to my eye. Still a nice "look".

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Yes, o.k. so far, but which one do you mean? There are minimum 4 or 5 different V 8 made by Vignale.
I believe there are 4 coupes and 1 convertible but my favorite is this coupe,Vignale Fiat 8V Coupe 1954

Some time ago the Blackhawk collection in Ca. Had an 8v exhibit, if my memory is correct there were at least 3 Vignale cars and a total of 10 otto vu's, almost 10% of the total ever made.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts