Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings gentleman,

I was wondering if I might obtain your opinions as regards the Nardi steering wheels currently made, specifically this one Replica - 5802.42.3000

I am considering purchasing one for my 1959 750B Sprint. Does anybody have any experience with the modern production versions of the classic Nardi wheel? The originals are almost impossible to find and ruthlessly expensive.

Also if I may ask as a 750B is my car technically a series 1 or series 2 car? The 750 status would say Series 1, but I'm not sure how it is defined as a transition car.

Kindest regards,
Hans

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Hello Hans

I have no experience with the Nardi steering wheels, however noted Giulietta expert, restorer extraordinaire and all round nice guy, Bill Gillham, once mentioned that the new ones were not the same shape / dish as the old ones and he did not like them, preferring the Moto Lita wheels which have kept the same shape since the '50's.

Your '59 Sprint is a Series II, the change happened in mid '58 from chassis 1493*06612 onwards - it has to do with the new 101 shape using the pressed steel panels.

For general clarity we call the Sprints from mid '58 to end '60, the Series II Interim or Transition cars. Alfa kept the 750 designation almost right to the end of '60.

Ciao
Greig
'57 750B's
'58 750E
'60 750B Interim car
'61 10102

Spiders
Ti
Others

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hello Hans

I have no experience with the Nardi steering wheels, however noted Giulietta expert, restorer extraordinaire and all round nice guy, Bill Gillham, once mentioned that the new ones were not the same shape / dish as the old ones and he did not like them, preferring the Moto Lita wheels which have kept the same shape since the '50's.

Greig
'57 750B's
'58 750E
'60 750B Interim car
'61 10102

Spiders
Ti
Others
Is there anyone that could depict or compare an original and genuine Nardi wheel of the 50/60ies with the contemporary copies pointing out the discrepancies there might be?

Dennis

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Had one in my GTV-6. Hate them! The sun reflects and blinds you. They look pretty, but they are a road hazzard.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Had one in my GTV-6. Hate them! The sun reflects and blinds you. They look pretty, but they are a road hazzard.
But wouldn´t all the various wooden steering wheels reflect the sun and blind you, regardless of if Nardi, Derrington, Moto-Lita or how many there are?

They were all clearcoated when new !!!

So how come they became that popular?

Dennis

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Got one in my Milano and it has a Ferrero Wheel, don't know if they exist. The finish is a dull aluminium. The Nardi just created a road hazzard for me. Maybe I would say if your using it as a daily driver, I wouldn't have one in my Alfa. Just an observation, No offence!
Personally I like the Stock Alfa Steering Wheels. I ended up putting an Affetta wood steering wheel in GiGi cause it's setup to look like an Alfetta, and gave my Nardi away.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
When anyway at the steering wheels and just to add to the confusion, as well as to show another very rare option for our cars (although originally courtesy Bill Gillham), here´s a Bertone Sport version of the period.

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Is there anyone that could depict or compare an original and genuine Nardi wheel of the 50/60ies with the contemporary copies pointing out the discrepancies there might be?

Dennis
Dennis, you may find some interesting information in this thread in the "1900, 2000 & 2600 (1950-1968)" forum, where period Nardis and replicas for those cars were discussed. I've seen several original and after-market replica Nardis, and the differences are very difficult to show in pictures (I tried several times).

The main difference is in the feel, specifically the radius from the outside to behind the wheel, a corresponding indentation where the driver's thumbs rest towards the inside of the rim, and the grip indentations on the back side. I've seen several wheels that looked like good copies -- until I touched them. So, even for an "expert", there are few visual cues, one (e.g. me) has to touch them to be able to tell the difference: The originals seem to be shaped with complex radii (the backside feels more elliptical than round) so that they feel very natural in how the fleshy part at the base of the thumbs rest on them and how the fingers can wrap around them, while replicas feel either too square or too round (like touching a garden hose).

Now, what's interesting in the link you provided is that I was not aware of an official "Replica" line by Nardi, which must have been introduced during the last 10 years. Before that, aside from modern wheels, Nardi had only the "Anni '50" and "Anni '60" lines, which had thicker rims than the originals and felt awkward. So, many of the negative comments people make may relate to those wheels and after-market replicas. The official "Replica" line steering wheels look much better than "Anni '50" and "Anni '60", but I would have to touch one to see if they got the radii of the rim profile and thickness right.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hi Ruedi,

Thanks for a great post and a link, am going to check it out tonight.

I liked the one "(like touching a garden hose)" !!! Ha-ha, and people pay 250 euro for that feel, swell !!!

Dennis

·
Registered
406 Posts
When anyway at the steering wheels and just to add to the confusion, as well as to show another very rare option for our cars (although originally courtesy Bill Gillham), here´s a Bertone Sport version of the period.

Dennis
That is indeed rare- I've never seen another one. What is the story with that wheel?

·
Registered
9,409 Posts

Dennis
The difference in the thickness of the rims in the drawing and in the picture is an indicator of the difference between original and replica steering wheels. I doubt that the steering wheel in the picture is original.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Volante Berone Sport wheel shown in the post by Concept 101 above is very attractive. I believe a Giulietta enthusiast who post as "Twin Cam" made a very small production run of a wheel that's very similar. He may have a few available. They are less money than a fifty year old Nardi, or Bertone wheel, but not cheap. Small production runs are always expensive. I've seen the one in his Spider, and it's really nice.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Greetings Grieg,

Thank you most kindly for your e-mail. I was always a bit confused as to how to properly define my 59 750B. I will do more research as regards the Nardi wheel. I have a Motalita on the car currently and while it is beautifully made, aesthetically it just does'nt seem to look right.

Incidentally Donatella at Elevezio has been a true pleasure to worth with as regards my door panels. She is sending me samples of the fabrics and colours. Thank you for the recommendation.

Nice to see you live in SA. Truly much more gorgeous roads on which to drive an Alfa than the winter scarred roads of Connecticut! My mother is from Johannesburg and my father from Cape Town.

Kindest regards,
Hans

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Sprint Veloce Finished at Last 11-28-14 003.jpg Phil,

I have a 1960's Nardi wheel on my 1961 Sprint Veloce. I purchased it from a friend in 1970 and it was used on his Alfa. I paid $50.00 for the wheel, but UCLA yearly parking pass was $100.00.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
View attachment 705041 Phil,

I have a 1960's Nardi wheel on my 1961 Sprint Veloce. I purchased it from a friend in 1970 and it was used on his Alfa. I paid $50.00 for the wheel, but UCLA yearly parking pass was $100.00.
So John, if you have the real thing, would you describe it a little bit better? Is there the Nardi signature on the spoke (probably not when 1960), does it have the date stamp, how thin/thick is the grip? What´s the diameter (420 mm?)

Dennis

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
The wheel has a Nardi signature on the right hand spoke. The wheel diameter is about 410 mm, and the grip is less than 25 mm. The grip is not round, but is shaped like the original steering wheel. I could not find a date stamp on the wheel.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts