Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear members,

May I ask the members of the AlfaBB for their knowledge on steering wheels?

A friend of mine bought this steering wheel in a second hand shop for 2 Euro's.
It says Nardi on the bottom spoke and I think it is a license made steering wheel. Can anyone shed some light on this item? I searched the internet but could not find any suitable information.

Thanks in advance!

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Re the stamping on the wheel "EMABER LICEN NARDI":

EMABER S.A. of Barcelona was apparently a (large) producer of seat belts and had several worldwide patents for safety belt buckles to their name. Last trace I could find of them was in June 1973 when one of their seat belt types, the "Liv Futura RS 127", was homologated by the Spanish authorities. As you likely know, retrofitting seatbelts was all the rage in Europe at that time. I remember my father fitting seatbelts in our Opel Rekord P2 around that time, but of course only in the front ;)

At that time EMABER was located at Calle Potosì 4 in Barcelona, but the preceding 1968 patent application had them located in Calle Aragón 186 (or Carrer d'Aragó in Catalan language). None of the addresses show anything interesting on StreetView today.

Presumably they already had the tooling to make plated metal objects and made Nardi steering wheels under license. In fact, they filed a patent for "an improved automobile steering wheel" in March 1970, with a drawing of something looking exactly like a Nardi wheel.

So, your friend seems to have bought a Spanish license-made Nardi wheel. Maybe even an improved one :)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks!

Re the stamping on the wheel "EMABER LICEN NARDI":

EMABER S.A. of Barcelona was apparently a (large) producer of seat belts and had several worldwide patents for safety belt buckles to their name. Last trace I could find of them was in June 1973 when one of their seat belt types, the "Liv Futura RS 127", was homologated by the Spanish authorities. As you likely know, retrofitting seatbelts was all the rage in Europe at that time. I remember my father fitting seatbelts in our Opel Rekord P2 around that time, but of course only in the front ;)

At that time EMABER was located at Calle Potosì 4 in Barcelona, but the preceding 1968 patent application had them located in Calle Aragón 186 (or Carrer d'Aragó in Catalan language). None of the addresses show anything interesting on StreetView today.

Presumably they already had the tooling to make plated metal objects and made Nardi steering wheels under license. In fact, they filed a patent for "an improved automobile steering wheel" in March 1970, with a drawing of something looking exactly like a Nardi wheel.

So, your friend seems to have bought a Spanish license-made Nardi wheel. Maybe even an improved one :)
Dear Tor,

Thanks for the reply! So it is a Spanish licensed "Nardi" steering wheel.
Must have been mounted on a SEAT 850 or some other licensed FIAT car.
Not bad for a couple of Euro's. Nice item to hang on the wall of the house or the garage. I will give him the information you supplied.

I found an advertisement in Spain for a Emaber Nardi this evening. Looks a lot better and has the same logo/text on the bottom spoke.

Ciao, Olaf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts