Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
The coachbuilder is Carrozzeria Rocco Motto of Turin. The engine was a Nardi modified Fiat 1100. The chassis frame was a combination of a stock Fiat 1100B frame and Nardi upper and lower parallel side tubes, presumably built by Nardi. Rocco Motto and Enrico Nardi were good friends and Motto bodied many of Nardi's cars.
This car existed in pretty good condition in southern California in the early 1980's, except that the engine and gearbox were out of the car, partly apart, and lying on the concrete floor near the car. I tried to purchase the car to join my other two Motto bodied cars, but it was bought by another person, who was supposedly going to restore it and vintage race it. It is doubtful that ever happened as I've never seen any recent photos or any other reference to this interesting car -- so it's still out there, somewhere.

Peter Zobian

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Looked as though you had answered the question perfectly. And it's not a particularly interesting Motto design, IMHO. So there's not much to say about it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think all of Motto's cars are interesting. Some are better looking than others, but as Motto was a car builder not a designer, his customers probably had their input. This particular car looks pretty good especially considering it probably dates from the late 1940's or very early 1950's. Compare it to a standard Fiat 1100 of that era, or an MG-TC or any MG before the MGA. The photo in the post says it all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This Nardi is alive and well in Southern California. It was at Willie Meuller's shop in Costa Mesa recently. The owner is working very hard to preserve its originality and has done a nice job of retaining patina while restoring the mechanicals. He has a lot of research, but would likely appreciate any details that folks might be able to share. Willie says that it runs great and sounds better. It will probably appear in shows in the near future.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
... Compare it to a standard Fiat 1100 of that era, or an MG-TC or any MG before the MGA. The photo in the post says it all.
Compare it to a standard Fiat 1100 or a TC/TD? That's what's known as a very low threshold...

But I'm delighted to learn that it's being brought back to life, as original as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Compare it to a standard Fiat 1100 or a TC/TD? That's what's known as a very low threshold...

But I'm delighted to learn that it's being brought back to life, as original as possible.
Agree. Compare it with this (1950):

However, Motto was for sure one of the top coachbuilder. Few know the reasons why he decided suddenly to stop making cars begin making house trailers....

p.s. just for info: from this picture it's clear how the period paint was not shining as we are used to see cars at the elegance councours. In this picture, paint seems to be nothing more than semi-gloss....

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I do find this car handsome - But I am so not a a good reference at all as the weirder it looks the more I probably like it. I also do like the TC ...

On the Vignale: A good day for Michelotti who is also known for a mastery of the bizarre ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts