Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I finally got a nardi boss adaptor that has a good enough fit.

So I put everything together real quick.

But when I put the battery on the horn is constantly on :(

The horn button has two contacts. I´ve tried both and it still honks...
There is a plate that´s between the boss adaptor and the steering wheel
What have I done wrong and missed ??

Tia
Jan

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Your horn works with a constant positive connection and a switched ground. Your horn button is that switch which completes the circuit.
Somewhere you are grounding out. Either the horn button isn't opening enough to break the circuit or there's an accidental ground somewhere in your connections.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK.
So either of the contacts should work?

I was wondering about the spring on the side of the button.
I mean, the button can only go in one way, right?

The previous button just had the wire connected with a screw.
I put on a spade (or whatever it´s called in english) to fit the new buttons contact.

Jan

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
try taking the steering wheel & horn press apart with the battery still connected. there shouldbe be a single wire coming up the centre of the column, touch it on the side of the boss & the horn will fire, by doing it live you will see were the fault lies.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the hornpress, is that the metal form that goes between the wheel and boss?
I will try that.
Yes, I have the single wire coming out of the column, I´m just worried it´s something inside the column. That would suck!

But I´m real happy with the wheel :D
In the end I´d like a nardi button so I can use the ring over the screws, but for now this will do nicely.

Jan

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorted

OK, so I found out the problem, or at least I think I did.
The wire was pulled too tight when everything was put together, so I took some pliers and shoved as much as I could back into the column, thus removing tension.
Seems to have worked a charm :D

So now my only problem is when to afford the leather Nardi....

Have a nice weekend

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
So the hornpress, is that the metal form that goes between the wheel and boss?
I will try that.
Yes, I have the single wire coming out of the column, I´m just worried it´s something inside the column. That would suck!

But I´m real happy with the wheel :D
In the end I´d like a nardi button so I can use the ring over the screws, but for now this will do nicely.

Jan
Hi Jan, glad you seem to have solved the problem with the horn being on. However, and if you don't know perhaps someone else might, firstly where did you get your boss from, as I need one for my Nardi Classico, and secondly, as I have the Nardi horn button, I have no idea how to get the metal ring to stay in place, for there doesn't seem to be any lugs or other mountings for it it to stay put. It simply falls off.

BTW they are such a nice steering wheel. My brother in law has one on his Giulia Super and another mate has one on his MGB.

I have a couple of leather bound Momo prototipos and an early Nardi wheel which I had leather bound (its for my Super), so plenty to choose between.

If you look on ebay you should be able to find yourself a leather bound Nardi, I got my Classico 2nd hand off ebay out of Japan, and not for too many $$.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@ super1600:
As jamie said, it´s kept in place with doublesided tape :eek:

Mine came from my dad originally, from a Saab. So the horn button was a Saab one :eek:

I´ll eventually get an alfabutton. It still looks smashing and lots nicer to grip :)

I at first bought a boss from a wellknown vendor in the uk that i´ve always shopped from, but this boss really had crappy tolerances. I tried making it work but I was never pleased.
I then contacted alfaholics and they had the same boss BUT also a premium one that they had made to their specs. Even if it isn´t perfect it is a LOT better plus looks great.
So if I were you I would take the premium directly and save some hassle.

Jan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts