Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ola, i have this passion for classic cars special italians, i have this Hobby as well as a small business with classic cars. I´ve been around some of these for quite some time now, and every now and than something happens that i dont quite know the answer!!!That´s is the case here!!!I found this NARDI CLASSICO stering wheel in Italy some time ago!!This was very well preserved and looked like have been stored propely and not left on some wet place!!That was a small very old tag(that i "stupidly" did´t photografed) anyway has i was saying that tag had hand writting saying ALFA ROMEO GIULIA GTA. i bought it and brought it home, i hand cleaned it and hand polished it a litle bit. This is the result!!I´m not a ALFA ROMEO expert but the truth is that i searshed and serarshed all the the internet forums as well as some book´s and came out with nothing!!!!Never saw one like this, or this color, or this shape, so i wonder if you guys can help me here!!!I will post as many pictures as i can so sometimes a good image is more than few words!!! Let me tell you that i am lucky to have some italian car´s which have Nardi wheels, and never saw something like this!!Was this a one piece custum from NARDI, was this some adaptation from some entusiath, dont know, but i do know that this stering wheel is a BEAUTIFULL piece of art!!!

All the best...P.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
I have seen one like it many years ago (1968-9?) on an Alfa TZ II I owned for a very short time. I do not believe any of these Nardi's were factory mounted on the GTA's. My example had the GTA style horn button, with an aluminum ring surrounding it with seven exposed screw heads, very much like this photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A new NARDI for a 356 A 1956!!!

This is a new one for a Porsche 356 A project!!!I did picture so we can see the diferences!!when i put them side by side aparth from finishing!!The new one is NEW and you can sense that by the touching aparth from that, the grip is thicker 25 mm they both are 36 cm allthougt not quite exactly a diference of 2/3 mm being the old one bigger!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen one like it many years ago (1968-9?) on an Alfa TZ II I owned for a very short time. I do not believe any of these Nardi's were factory mounted on the GTA's. My example had the GTA style horn button, with an aluminum ring surrounding it with seven exposed screw heads, very much like this photo.
Hi Gordon, i believe that is a car that was /is in fantasy junction in USA!!I also saw that picture and is the most similar that i found, allthought front side is diferent, i mean the horn button!!!Thank you for your opinion!1

Best regards...P.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boas !!!!

Olá Papiko, vou escrever em Inglês para todos entenderem.

Unfortunately that's not an original Gta Steering wheel. You could install it, the hub seems to be for Alfas including Gta. Please take a look to the thread below and you'll find the answer:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulia-gta-gta-1300-jr-gtam-1965-1975/174720-gta-hellebore-steering-wheels.html
SrintGTVeloce i also think that there is a lot of confusion on that matter, so many people have many ideas and literature about it, the hub is a GTV or GTA or similar, these wheel as aluminium kind of ribets that attached the whell to the hub, also a very popolar "move" from those years in the end i guess that there were a few options for GTA´S including MOMO LE MANS and NARDI appart from HELLEBORE. the 6/7 screws is a typical HELLEBORE hub but for other(it loo´k´s the later model´s like GTAm there were a 6 MOMO or NARDI hub´s!!!

Check this and open the PDF file that someone posted there.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/174261-momo-lemans-vintage-steering-wheel-gta-tz-sz-autodelta-option-very-rare.html

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello again Papiko!

Let's go back to the 60's and try to find an answer and if 'm wrong somebody correct me please.

1- The original Steering wheel is the Hellebore one. This Hellebore steering wheel equiped the Gta when it left the Alfa Romeo factory.

2- When it left the factory some owners took the original Hellebore Steering wheel out and placed other from the existing market. There were dozens of steering wheel options, lot's of types, makes, shapes and so on with hubs available for Alfa Romeos.

3- Your Nardi seems to have an Alfa Hub. If it is an Alfa hub it can be installed on any 60's Alfa including Gta, but this doesn't mean that it is an authentic Gta Steering wheel, it only fits.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello again Papiko!

Let's go back to the 60's and try to find an answer and if 'm wrong somebody correct me please.

1- The original Steering wheel is the Hellebore one. This Hellebore steering wheel equiped the Gta when it left the Alfa Romeo factory.

2- When it left the factory some owners took the original Hellebore Steering wheel out and placed other from the existing market. There were dozens of steering wheel options, lot's of types, makes, shapes and so on with hubs available for Alfa Romeos.

3- Your Nardi seems to have an Alfa Hub. If it is an Alfa hub it can be installed on any 60's Alfa including Gta, but this doesn't mean that it is an authentic Gta Steering wheel, it only fits.
i´m learning here!!So meaning that ALL GTA´s and GTAm´s had Hellebore steering wheels!!This is correct than??No MOMO Le Mans or NARDI!!!

Thank you...P.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i´m learning here!!So meaning that ALL GTA´s and GTAm´s had Hellebore steering wheels!!This is correct than??No MOMO Le Mans or NARDI!!!

Thank you...P.
I think that I missed a number 4 on the previous post! ::rolleyes:

4- When it comes to racing Autodelta used to modify Gta Stradales and 1750 Gtv into Gta corsa and Gtam respectively. Autodelta also used to equip these cars with leather Momo and Fusina wheels, at least these are the most seen on vintage photos. In the earlier versions of racing Gtas, it is more common to see the original wooden Hellebore factory steering wheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi together

The fact that only Hellebore steering wheels were installed at the factory is not quite true. Alfa GTA sprint stradale were equipped with a flat Nardi ( look alike??) steering wheel. As proof you see pictures from the original Giulia Sprint GT and Giulia Sprint GTA prospectus.

Many greetings from Switzerland
Thom

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thank you for the information, it is in fact a Nardi.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
A guy who restores steering wheels told me that there is also a difference between 1.3 and 1.6 Hellebore wheels. The first cars should have a 4 holes sw, the second three.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts