Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mystery part - made by Bosch - came from a 91 Spider....Anyone know what it is? :D

Thanks - Dickson

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,933 Posts
Er, oil pressure warning light switch, I think? Left lower side of the engine somewhere. Not near the car right now so can't confirm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tom-

I think you are right... I saw it on the driver side of the block but feel free to confirm!

Marc

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
With poop solder like where the sensor goes into the banjo, I doubt it's 'made by Bosch'.
More like a 'ooops, the wire is too short and we just need to get the connection a smidge closer' homebrew creation.

I'd even go so far as to guess it's not oil, but a temp sensor to get the one on top of the head laid down at 90 degrees for whatever reason, but chasing any # on the sensor should determin what is was for.

Cobble~soldered sensor in a banjo fitting on a 91?
I really doubt it.
But if it is indeed real, I'd be incredibly ashamed tell anyone of it's exisitance on the car.
Well, at least until you were sure all the duct tape and bread ties were freshened up, then that sensor could be the highlight of the freak show :D

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The top yellowish plastic parts is marked Bosch.

As for the fitting & all else, who knows! :D

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,933 Posts
I just checked on my car. That's definitely the OP light sender: left front-ish on the block (behind the alternator). I don't know if mine is Bosch brand, but the whole setup looks exactly the same.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If i had to name them, I'd say the one on the left looks like Phineas and the one on the right is Ferb.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
For a comparison, here is the OP sending light on my '91, driver side block behind the oil dipstick.

Looks the same.

Vin

IMG_7015.jpg

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Well ain't that somethin' LOL

Why in the hell would they bother with something like that?
Certainly not for clearance at least.

Must be some engineer was trying to prove his worth or something to keep a job and that was the best he could come up within short order. :)

Possible reason?
The sensors for the motonic are of a different thread pitch, yet they had a jillion engine blocks already drilled and tapped for l-jet type sensors, so this was the way they adapted the sensor change instead of having to rework all those blocks?

It's just bizzare that something like that would appear like that in that day and age.
(I though banjos went out of fashion when carburettors did)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with you Darren, it looks kinda "fabbed" to me too!

But here it is again, this time in the ABB classifieds in a picture of '92 exhaust manifolds:

Dickson

1 - 13 of 13 Posts