Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go figure. Just read an old thread concerning electrical issues when guess what, I got one.:(

I changed fluids last weekend. I then did some more tinkering to get ready for this weekends Monte Shelton Rally in Portland Or, (Wife and I are volunteers for a good cause). I noticed the alternator light had lit. I thought I had pinched a wire in the engine compartment, but could not find anything.

Next step was to look at fuses to see if one had blown. Sure enough number 7 had blown. In my '82, this fuse among other things seems to be the control feed back for built in regulator on alternator.

I removed the fuse and ohm'd both side of fuse holder to ground. No shorts, in went a new fuse.

I started the engine. All was fine, so what the heck, I'll take it for a ride.......

Fuse blew once again................ :(

Wait a minute.... The fuse blew.... I then took blown fuse out and decided to figure out what I did to cause the second one to blow. I connected ohm meter to low fuse contact and measured once again to ground..... 36 ohms..... thats good.....

The only thing I did once I replaced fuse and started the engine, was put it in reverse. So down went the shift lever into reverse.... Ohm meter read zero ohms............:eek:

I searched under the consule for any wires that may be shorted by moving the shift lever.... All OK.

I then disconnected reverse switch on transmission..... Short went away :eek:

So back to the rear lights I went. Disconnected both assemblys from wiring harness........ Reconnected the reverse switch........ Short stayed away...:)

You all guessed it.. One of the reverse light bulb sockets was shorted to ground. I disconnected the shorted one for now. So running with one reverse light until I can fix problem...

At least mystery is solved.... :)

cheers all

·
Registered
333 Posts
Chet - Thanx for the "Here's my problem & here's how I fixed it" post. That kind of info. is what helps make this BB so good - someonw will have that exact (or similar) issue at some point, will run a search and BINGO! your experiance helps solve their problem.

Good dog!

dlt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts