Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sounds like it's coming from directly behind my head. Perhaps in the area where the air canister is for the fuel. I've tried putting my hand against the rear panel that separates the trunk as I'm driving and it doesn't get any better.

I will take a closer look tomorrow just thought I'd post the problem here and see if anyone has experienced this before and might be able to give me some leads.

Oh, it might help to note that the rattle is only there in certain gears while accelerating. No rattle or anything during idle. Definitely in the body somewhere.

Thanks In Advance,

George

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you have a catalytic converter?
Saar.
Yes, brand new installed.

This rattle is definitely not under the car but behind me. Sounds like in the trunk area or just behind the metal panel which separates the trunk from the fake backseat. I just recently had the back area reupholstered but before I did I checked everything on the inside of the car. The panel itself is solid. Also there is a chrome trim which sits behind the top with a chrome bead on the outside lining of the top (just had the top replaced) and i replaced all the screws which hold that in place and they are all in super tight so I also know its not that chrome piece.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Found the rattle, Boys.

Combination of three things:

1. The skeleton for the trunk was loose (the pads which separate the skeleton of the trunk to the trunk panel had rotted and caused a space between them)

2. I recently replaced the rear muffler section with a centerline straight pipe. The bend in the pipe which curves it over the driver's side axle was pressing against the bottom of the metal panel where the jack and the fuel/air canister sit thus causing that whole panel to vibrate.

3. The jack was loose (Thanks Gubi!)

Pics attached just in case anyone has the same problem. There are also two bars which criss cross. They are part of the tensioning system for the trunk lid. These two bars could potentially cause a rattle/vibration as well.

I solved the rattle in the trunk lid with some foam tape. The exhaust was solved by putting four washers in the bottom part of the center muffler's hanger. These four washers pushed the rear pipe away from the metal piece shown in the picture.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.