Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I would to know the history behind these photos, i.e. is it the GTA that disappeared after an accident in WA AUS ?
Maybe clue kangaroo on door
IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

·
Premium Member
21,129 Posts
Probably Kwech car; it's Riverside Turn 7A, 7B, likely a Trans Am race. I'm sure Ken and others will chime in with specific info on the accident.
Andrew

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Hello. No it is not a lost Australian GTA. It is, as Andrew said, one of the Kweck/Winkler 1967 RHD GTA team cars (3).

This one, #3, was wrecked at the 1967 Riverside Trans Am by Kweck in practice. It was the second team RHD GTA wrecked that year. It's serial number is not known by me. I think parts from the two 67 wrecks were likely used in 1968 on 1 or 2 LHD to RHD conversions for racing in the Trans Am.

The picture shows the remaining Team GTA, #6, with Winkler at the wheel. Kweck was listed on the Starting Grid as a co Driver.

You may find more in the Trans Am thread in the Pictures Forum.

Oh and the Kangaroo. Kweck was a transplanted Australian.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,129 Posts
In the wreck photos, the first one looks east toward Palms Springs. 7A and 7B tied midway the main back straight into the easterly back straight used by NASCAR. The second shot looks basically north toward Turn 6. Car must have crashed out of 7A, which is downhill and off camber. I spent a lot of time at these turns 10 years later.
Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts